Menu

AMC 10 Series?

https://artofproblemsolving.com/school/course/catalog/maa-amc10?gtmlist=Catalog_Center

We've done pieces and parts of AoPS, but don't plan on using the whole curriculum. I'd like to replace a "math circle" type experience, which we don't have around here, without adding a full-on class. ETA: we do have a test site for the AMC an hour from us.

Has anyone here taken this class? What is it like? Is there a lot of homework for this class? Thanks!

Edited by MamaSprout

I think you'll find these test prep classes are a lighter load than their core math classes.  There's no alcumus (last I checked), and the homework is lighter.  Mostly they've organized old AMC 10 problems by topic (NT, C&P, geometry, etc.) and devoted a week to each sort of problem, both in the classroom and for homework.  I believe each homework has about 10 problems with no writing problem.    

• Like 1

My son is taking this class right now and is enjoying it a lot.  Unfortunately, as it turns out we are going to be out of the country when the AMC10 is given so he won't be able to take the exam this year, but it's good practice and he seems to be learning quite a bit.  

He hasn't taken any of the AoPS math classes but FWIW this class is definitely much less work than the AoPS computer science classes.  As daijobu said, the homework is 10 problems a week, and I'd guess it takes my son maybe an average of 2 hours to complete it all, although i haven't been keeping close track.  There was one week when he just zipped through it really fast, but others when he's gotten stuck on a problem or two.

• Like 1