Menu

Early Decision

Mom0012

Does applying ED make scholarship offers less likely? The school that my dd wants to apply ED says it does not on their website, but I am wondering why they would offer merit if they know a student has already committed to attending?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gstharr said:

I don't have anything to base this on.  But, logic would suggest that the schools are granting ED to the most meritorious of its projected pool.. Would not make sense to fill up ED with middle of the pack. 

Thank you. That’s a good point. I’ve read elsewhere that ED is not a good choice if you are hoping for scholarship money, but this school explicitly states that ED applicants are given full consideration for merit scholarships. I am having a hard time trusting that, though. It would make more sense to me to give that money to the remaining top applicants who have not already committed.

• Like 1

It probably depends on the school - I'd bet some only scholarship those they are still trying to entice, others will give the scholarships to the best students regardless of if they've already committed or not.

My oldest applied early decision and was told that the decision did not affect his chances to get the merit scholarships. 

• Like 2

My DD applied ED to a very elite school, where she was confident that if she was accepted, she would get a "full ride", based on Financial Need and possibly on Merit.  In general, my impression is that ED is generally an advantage for the schools, and not for the applicants and that if one is not able to pay the full rate, one should not apply...  My DD applied EA to one school and that's where she will be going in August.  EA seems more favorable to the applicants, IMO.  Good luck to your DD!

• Like 1