Menu

If you used CPO Life Science...

How did you schedule it?

Looking at the teacher's manual, it recommends 185 45-minute lessons. I had originally planned to schedule science for two 90-minute chunks of time each week, over 36-40 weeks. To be honest, we (I) have had a hard time getting science done this year, so I was also considering starting it over the summer, when DH is home and we don't have anything else scheduled except twice-a-week swim lessons at the city lake. This is for an 5th grader who is math-y and has excellent reading comprehension, if that makes a difference. My other option is just letting him read science books and follow the WTM recommendations for outlining, etc, but I think a textbook might keep me from letting it slide again.

On 6/18/2019 at 3:06 PM, Noreen Claire said:

How did you schedule it?

Looking at the teacher's manual, it recommends 185 45-minute lessons. I had originally planned to schedule science for two 90-minute chunks of time each week, over 36-40 weeks. To be honest, we (I) have had a hard time getting science done this year, so I was also considering starting it over the summer, when DH is home and we don't have anything else scheduled except twice-a-week swim lessons at the city lake. This is for an 5th grader who is math-y and has excellent reading comprehension, if that makes a difference. My other option is just letting him read science books and follow the WTM recommendations for outlining, etc, but I think a textbook might keep me from letting it slide again.

The TM lesson recs are insane.  I only homeschool 180 days.  I’m not even sure public schools teach more than 180 full days, but whatever...  I used the CPO Life Science text with my son when he was in the 7th grade.  It was his first year of homeschooling, and he came home not loving science.  I never had the teacher manual, just the classroom text.  Anyhoo...

As I recall, we spent time learning to text map and read/use a text book.  I taught him to mindmap and outline using the text.  For the life science content, the CPO text worked as a spine which I supported with trade/science type books.  Son watched documentaries, performed Janice Van Cleave biology and growth experiments, and used a microscope for creating and looking at slides.  We also used a basic Holt Life Science text to support teaching outlining.  I recall DS creating and presenting a mitosis presentation to DH.  For the human body, DS used an online Fusion Science unit that I purchased on sale, but he didn’t enjoy it that much.  

I think he worked on life science 3-4 days per week.  Lab experiments took time but I never clocked it.  Does this answer your question?

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

The TM lesson recs are insane.  I only homeschool 180 days.  I’m not even sure public schools teach more than 180 full days, but whatever...  I used the CPO Life Science text with my son when he was in the 7th grade.  It was his first year of homeschooling, and he came home not loving science.  I never had the teacher manual, just the classroom text.  Anyhoo...

As I recall, we spent time learning to text map and read/use a text book.  I taught him to mindmap and outline using the text.  For the life science content, the CPO text worked as a spine which I supported with trade/science type books.  Son watched documentaries, performed Janice Van Cleave biology and growth experiments, and used a microscope for creating and looking at slides.  We also used a basic Holt Life Science text to support teaching outlining.  I recall DS creating and presenting a mitosis presentation to DH.  For the human body, DS used an online Fusion Science unit that I purchased on sale, but he didn’t enjoy it that much.  

I think he worked on life science 3-4 days per week.  Lab experiments took time but I never clocked it.  Does this answer your question?

Thank you!

We did the CPO Earth Science two years ago--it can't be too different. We spent two days a week reading and doing some of the questions (not all)--probably no more than 1.5 hours, plus 45 minutes of lab at co-op (I ran the lab).  I don't think you will need as much time as they state.

I skipped any chapter questions that related to writing or literature. We also didn't do any "projects" although I can't remember if there were any. 

They used to have the student lab sheets online and you might be able to still get them with the wayback machine. The answers to the labs were in the teacher's edition. I didn't always agree with them for what it's worth.  

ETA: I probably still have my schedule.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1