Menu

Jacob's Geometry 3rd Edition

I'm looking at Jacob's Geometry 3rd edition (Geometry: Seeing, Doing, Understanding) for the upcoming school year. Has anyone used this edition? I would love to hear about experiences with it. How long does an average lesson take? How did your student like it? How did you as the teacher/parent like it? Any other tips/information you think I would need to know before ordering. Thanks.

Lily

I have taught out of both the second and third editions.  I vastly prefer the second edition.  It is much more straightforward to teach out of and there is a greater emphasis on proofs.  It is also much more like his algebra text, if you're familiar with that.

That said, the third edition is prettier.

Edited by EKS

I used 3rd edition a few years ago.  Never used 2nd so I can't compare.  But oldest did fine with it.  She eventually majored in math (and engineering and comp sci) so it wasn't bad to use. Middle gal who is not math inclined also used it.  I found it easy to read the text (that is to say, teach from it) to her. plenty of proofs I thought.   With oldest, she was "self teaching" and I don't really know how long she spent on lessons.  She's nit picky on stuff and I don't remember her whining/complaining about geometry.    With middle, I remember we spent about 60-90 minutes per lesson and that was both "teaching" and "homework" time.  I used the lesson plans that MFW made for that edition.  We'd read the lesson. Work the problem set.  Some of the time, I would just listen to middle gal talk through for understanding.  I certainly did not remember tons of geometry from my own days in high school as I'm not the math persons in my family.   But I found it easy to talk/teach the textbook out loud and learn (relearn) with.   We used Jacob's geometry in between Saxon alg 1 and alg 2.  We wanted a year of proof based geometry between those books even if other people don't do that.   I don't think middle gal could have self taught from the book because of how she learns and thinks about math.  I'm sure that whatever I would have picked for geometry, I would have been teaching her.  Oldest was fine on self teach from text and asking dad (who is math person in daily work life) for help as needed.   But the edition I used was the one mfw was selling at the time and looks like they still do.  Most of their lesson plans for jacobs was do these problems today, mixed with some notes here and there to expand a lesson.  worked for us.   I've never used 2nd edition of the book, but didn't think 3rd was bad to use at all.