Menu

Math Credit and DE Class - Transcript Question

DD has taken several courses in math, English, and anthropology at the local uni and local community college as a DE student.  Her grades are mostly A's, a few B's, and a C this past semester in precalc II (precalc with trig). This is her only C on her transcripts from anywhere.  She will have 4 high school math credits on her transcript without this awful "C" class.  So my question is this:  Shall I not include it on her high school transcript at all and just calculate her GPA without this community college class?  Or include it on her high school transcript for credit and take the GPA hit?  Or doesn't it matter what I do since the college transcripts will all be sent to each college anyway?  I mean, it's going to be seen and she has to own it, I understand that.  But I don't know if it's acceptable and a better option to exclude it for high school credit and from the transcript for GPA purposes.

Edited by Reefgazer

I would agree-follow the local school district on weighting. If she has a A and a C in DE classes, here that would still average as a 4.0. 

Depending on the format of your transcript, you could also list it as an elective vs math. Our cover school does that for extra credits, and they seem to prefer to put the college classes and outside honors labeled classes, which are weighted, in core and the unweighted ones in electives, and I assume that is to maximize GPA for the programs that look at core vs electives (because it really doesn’t make a lot of sense to have general biology and general chemistry  as elective, but Epidemiology and Infectious disease, Biochemistry I, and Introduction to Neuroscience as core unless you are trying to maximize GPA). 

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, chiguirre said:

Can she retake the class and substitute the grade with the higher one or at least average them? Policies vary but it's pretty common to be able to do this.

Yes, she can, but we have decided to take the hit and not repeat the class.  She has enough credits without it, doesn't need it as a pre-req to stats (she just needed pre-calc I for that pre-req), and despises math.

6 hours ago, dmmetler said:

was going to submit an unweighted transcript for simplicity purposes.  but I like the idea of this class as an elective, since she doesn't need it for credits or as a pre-req.  So listing it as an elective would be OK?

I would agree-follow the local school district on weighting. If she has a A and a C in DE classes, here that would still average as a 4.0. 

Depending on the format of your transcript, you could also list it as an elective vs math. Our cover school does that for extra credits, and they seem to prefer to put the college classes and outside honors labeled classes, which are weighted, in core and the unweighted ones in electives, and I assume that is to maximize GPA for the programs that look at core vs electives (because it really doesn’t make a lot of sense to have general biology and general chemistry  as elective, but Epidemiology and Infectious disease, Biochemistry I, and Introduction to Neuroscience as core unless you are trying to maximize GPA). 

Edited by Reefgazer