Menu

What color/design to paint a mailbox?

Teaching3bears

I got a wood mailbox for the front of our house that I want to paint.  Our home is pale rose with white trim and there is orangey brick on the wall where I would put the mailbox.  The mailbox is standard looking.  It is wide with a curvyish lid that opens.  What color? Two-toned?  Should I write something on it?  I welcome any links to pictures too.

When I read your post I thought green would be nice.  Not sure what style the mailbox is but I like the shade of green on this metal mail box. https://www.jossandmain.com/One-Allium-Way--Lacordaire-Wall-Mounted-Mailbox-W000774980-L565-K~J000124600.html?refid=GX266174033404-1413317644_337LB&device=t&ptid=555134635587&targetid=pla-555134635587&network=g&ireid=28294181&PiID[]=226489237&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr53V5uKY4gIVoxx9Ch1QjAAaEAQYCyABEgJ33fD_BwE If your house number isn’t right by the mailbox you need the number on it.

• Like 1

IMO, Leave as is or put on a stain/weather protection if necessary... once painted , paint has to be kept up or it often looks worse than weathering wood.   Keeping up paint on a mailbox isn’t something I have energy for...

I agree that house number is needed .  Perhaps also family last name(s).

• Like 1

I'd probably stain it, put a marine finish varnish on it, get metal house numbers and screw those into it (assuming your house numbers aren't visible anywhere else), and I'm done.

Wood - if it faces regular sunshine, fades quickly. If exposed to the weather, it needs to be refinished regularly (Our front door is wood. It faces southeast. It needs to be refinished every couple of years - or even earlier. Why don't we just install a storm door, you ask? It's a double door, so no easy way to install storm doors.)

I try to avoid anything that will require regular maintenance, and for those items that will, I try to make them as low maintenance as possible.