Menu

Science Lab Templates

I've googled, but not having much success.  Can anyone recommend a science lab template that walks the students through the written process of recording a lab?  I'd like something that we can use with any science curriculum.  This is for a grade 9 student.

I've taken and taught a lot of science and never seen anything like that unless its part of a lab manual that goes with a particular lab, probably since what you need would vary a lot depending on what type of lab it is and what you are measuring.  For most labs, though, I'd start by making a table so that you can easily record your data.  Many labs involve measuring something over a period of time, so set up the first column as time (in minutes, hours, or days, depending on what you are doing).  What you put in each additional column would vary - do you need 3 columns to record the mass of 3 separate items as it changes over time?  Do you need to count the number of seeds in each of 5 pots?  Do you need a space for other observations - for each pot, 1 space for number or height and another to make notes about color whether they are wilted?  Alternatively, are you treating 4 samples with 4 chemicals and recording the color change?  In that case, write the 4 chemicals across the top and the 4 items down the side.  If you need to record a 'before and after', then divide each box on the grid and fill it in with the 2 data points. Your data could also look more like a poll - for a certain optical illusion, what do people see - and you might list the options across the top and then the categories of people (if you divide by men/women, age, etc) down the side.  For this, you might use more of a tally chart format to collect the data and not compile it until you're ready to write the lab report.  In some fields, you could be doing more of an observational study (animal behavior, for instance) and you might make a table for things that fit into categories but also need to write phrases and paragraphs to describe what is happening.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ClemsonDana said:

I've taken and taught a lot of science and never seen anything like that unless its part of a lab manual that goes with a particular lab, probably since what you need would vary a lot depending on what type of lab it is and what you are measuring.  For most labs, though, I'd start by making a table so that you can easily record your data.  Many labs involve measuring something over a period of time, so set up the first column as time (in minutes, hours, or days, depending on what you are doing).  What you put in each additional column would vary - do you need 3 columns to record the mass of 3 separate items as it changes over time?  Do you need to count the number of seeds in each of 5 pots?  Do you need a space for other observations - for each pot, 1 space for number or height and another to make notes about color whether they are wilted?  Alternatively, are you treating 4 samples with 4 chemicals and recording the color change?  In that case, write the 4 chemicals across the top and the 4 items down the side.  If you need to record a 'before and after', then divide each box on the grid and fill it in with the 2 data points. Your data could also look more like a poll - for a certain optical illusion, what do people see - and you might list the options across the top and then the categories of people (if you divide by men/women, age, etc) down the side.  For this, you might use more of a tally chart format to collect the data and not compile it until you're ready to write the lab report.  In some fields, you could be doing more of an observational study (animal behavior, for instance) and you might make a table for things that fit into categories but also need to write phrases and paragraphs to describe what is happening.  

Thanks!  I ended up googling the text we are planning to use with "lab manual" and found what I needed.  I kept googling "template" and wasn't getting anywhere. LOL