Menu

What computer skills are important for high school?

Java, coding, computer science..... I don't know anything about this stuff.  I basically use Microsoft Word, Facebook and google. 😉  I want my kids prepared for college, but I don't really know which of these types of programs to have them use since I don't what they are.  I'm looking for something that they can do without me (live class or self paced classes doesn't matter).  I did have my oldest take a Microsoft essentials class at Excelsior that taught Word, Power Point, and Excel.  I plan on my younger son taking a similar class.  But besides that, what do you recommend?  I know they would enjoy computer classes and all of their friends are doing things like building their own computers which makes them feel like they are clueless about them.  Please help

The first few items, Java, Coding, Computer Science, might possibly be Electives during High School.  The ability to do simple stuff with Power Point and Excel would be the most important things you mentioned, IMO.  Has my DD done Video Editing and other things in High School? Yes, she has. But, I believe that mostly it was WORD, and some EXCEL and some POWERPOINT.  Also, knowing how to combine things into one .PDF file has been necessary on more than one occasion. So, yes, my DD has taken a course in Web Design and I think recently in Video Game design and things like that, but those are electives.  There are tons of Free Tutorials on the Internet if someone gets stuck with for example, WORD and needs to learn how to do something. IMO one doesn't need to be "an expert" with any of those Applications. They are huge and that would take years.  Learn how to do what one needs to do with the Application.  

• Like 1

Agree that knowing how to use software like Microsoft Excel, PP, and Word are the most important skills.  In terms of coding, does your student have any idea of what they want to pursue in the future?  Coding isn't an absolute necessity prior to college (if at all).  For my kids who have taken coding in high school, they have typically done Python first followed by Java and then C++.  

This is an easy to self-study book for beginning programming exposure: python programming for the absolute beginner  My dd thinks that Java is way easier, but I am not sure if it is bc she mastered Python first or if Java is really just that much easier.  (I know nothing about programming!)

• Like 1

Ok, this helps a lot.  I hear so much about these that I was assuming all high school kids were learning them.  Thanks for the advice about the free programs.  I'm going to talk this over with my sons and see what they want to do as far as adding these as electives.

Both of mine took a dual enrollment class at the local community college between their junior and senior years focused on Microsoft Office.

It was a great intro to college, and they both breezed through it. It's a required class at all state colleges here.

Yes, I could have taught them. I used to teach that class at that college. But outsourcing it was a positive in my view.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 1