Menu

What math after Singapore 6A/6B?

TrixieB

My dc use Singapore (supplemented with Miquon) for their elementary school math curriculum.

After 6th grade math (Singapore 6A/6B), what options are there for junior high/high school math sequences? I am not sure I want to stay with Singapore; I would prefer something that has the "traditional" Algebra 1/Geometry/Algebra II etc. sequence.

Also, after finishing Singapore 6A/6B, is a child prepared to start pre-algebra, or is a general math course necessary before pre-algebra?

Having also come out of Singapore we went on to use(sections only) of Lials BCM, we now use NEM 1, my dd is doing very well. We use Life of Fred Beginning Algebra as a supplement.

I did just get the Pre-Alegbra by Larson set(DVD,text, solutions manual) because it is done with Dana Mosley(Chalkdust) and I wanted to see if that would be a good alternative for my ds without having to pay for the pricey Chalkdust course. Of course other options are BJU and ABEKA Pre-Algebra I don't know much about them.

My oldest went to ps after she finished 6B. She did pre-algebra there. She returned to hsing and did Jacobs Algebra and Jacobs Geometry. Now she is working through Kinetic Books Algebra II. This program hasn't actually been released yet, but I emailed the company several times asking about when they were going to have it ready and they offered to let me use their beta version. We've had to work through it in an odd order (chapter 11, then chapter 12, now chapter 7).

My middle dd worked through aleks pre-algebra for one month (on a free trial) and then Math Smart Junior after she finished 6B. I think aleks would have been less frustrating for her if I'd done them in the opposite order (Math Smart Junior and then the free month of aleks). That took just three months.

My dd thought that Jacobs looked very intimidating after Singapore and asked me to find something else. I had just gotten a link for a free download of the new Algebra I program by Kinetic Books. My dd thought that looked pretty good and decided to try it. The immediate feedback offered by the program (which I loved) was a little stressful for her, so after she finished the 1st chapter, she asked to try Jacobs to see which she liked better. She decided to do both programs, switching after each chapter. She did that up until she got to chapter 8 in Jacobs. At that point, she was covering exponents in Jacobs before she got to it in KB (was chapter 9 in KB). She decided that the instruction in KB was a lot better than in Jacobs, and the immediate feedback kept her from working an entire page of problems incorrectly. She switched to using KB as her sole program. Our free trial version ran out, so I bought an online subscription (just $50 for a one-year subscription). She is disappointed that she'll have to leave KB for geometry (we'll use Jacobs Geometry), but she's glad that she'll be able to go back to KB for Algebra II.

Kinetic Books Algebra II should be released in December or January. They have already started working on Pre-algebra and that will be their next release after Algebra II.

Here are some of the threads I have bookmarked on it. I am saving these for when my dd gets there, what I plan to do depends on what age she is when she finishes 6b.

What next?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52589&highlight=Singapore+math+NEM

Why Not NEM?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41554&highlight=Singapore+math+NEM

Some BTDT advice

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33512&highlight=Singapore+math+NEM

Karen,

Thanks for those links! Good reading.

Trixie,

My son is finishing up 6A. Frankly, I think he has the skills to go directly into Algebra. He is answering those complicated word problems involving fractions, decimals, percents, and ratios -- faster than I can look them up in the answer key. However, I've found that he is so *happy* doing 6A in 7th grade that I hesitate to push him forward into algebra just because he's able. Maybe it's a youngest son issue.

Anyways, I think pre-algebra is a good choice, or some other in-between math, just because I'm a better-late-than-early proponent and have seen good results with that in my kids. Starting late can mean finishing ahead.

Julie

My understanding is that many students go from Singapore 6 into Algebra. Pre-algebra would obviously be a good idea if your dc is not ready for Algebra, but I don't think a general math course would be necessary, unless your dc is very young, or has really struggled in Singapore 5 and 6.

For this year, 7th grade, my ds will do Singapore 6A & 6B, along with Life of Fred Fractions, and Decimals/Percents. I think this will be enough pre-algebra type stuff for him, and will prepare him for Algebra.

For 8th grade, I am considering using Discovering Mathematics (from Singapore Math) with Life of Fred Beginning Algebra as a supplement. I am understanding that Discovering Mathematics is easier to teach than NEM. It does not follow the traditional Alg/Geometry/Alg 2 sequence, but I think that using Life of Fred as a supplement will take care of that.

If this works for him, this will take him through 11th grade.

HTH

This is not the most popular choice on these boards, but we move to and love Saxon's pre-algebra. I especially like the drill sheets in Saxon 8/7 and like it that Saxon presents math in a completely different way. It has helped to round out my children's math knowledge. HTH.