Menu

Looking for good readers for summer of K

MomN

My son just finished AAR Level 1.  We loved the readers that came with the curriculum.  I am looking for suggestions for summer readers.  I have the Bob Books but am looking for something a little longer and more engaging and appropriate for K/1st grade.  

Thanks!

I really like the We Both Read books for that stage.  Since every other page is designated for the adult to read, they are able to tell much more interesting stories than if they tried to constrain the whole book to what an early reader can decode.  The child's pages are not 100% decodable with AAR 1 level phonics, but they are close.

The Progressive Phonics books available for free online also tell silly, more interesting stories because they include decodable words (in bold red) along with other words for the adult to read.  There are also free worksheets and activities to go with the books.

18 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I really liked Frog and Toad and the Little Bear stories. Very decodable, with simple words, but fun stories.

Unfortunately, those books are nowhere near decodable for a child who has just finished AAR 1.  The first level of All About Reading only covers CVC words, beginning and ending consonant blends and the most common consonant digraphs (ch, sh, th, ck).  There is only one brief lesson introducing long vowel sounds at all, and the child has not seen the majority of vowel teams (ee, ea, ou, oy) or any r-controlled syllables.  They are very much at the stage of "The hen and the cat run fast", not "Toad pulled the covers over his head." (a sample pulled randomly from the first page of a Frog and Toad story).

We've purchased some books of "Decodable" readers on Amazon. Buying a new copy of an older edition will give you 40+ little books to tear out and staple. 

You can buy a book with full color decodables from the school publishers. Open Court, Reading, Treasures, etc...they all sell a big book of decodables for K, 1st and 2nd grades. 

You will have to tear the pages out (they're serrated on the edges) and fold + staple the sides to make it into a book, but all the pages are there, the stories are illustrated and they are cuter and better illustrated than Bob Books and a better deal than other "boxed" readers like Bob or Now I'm Reading.

My kiddos loved theirs and they flew through them.