Menu

Upcoming AP exams in May 2019

Hello. Writing with request for advice about upcoming exam. 10th grade DD has taken online AP classes for APES and APUSH. We have realized due to these exams and a neuro-educational consult that she not a great test taker and may do better in DE classes. She has done well with assignments and experiments but the quiz scores bring her grades down to B. Since she has been studying for the exams and is registered, I am assuming there is no downside to taking the exams. My understanding is that scores don't have to be shared and that an A or B in the class can still be used for her GPA and transcript even if she does not pass the exam. Her outlook about the whole experience and challenge has been quite positive. Many Thanks. Ann

I'd go ahead and take the exam. It's certainly possible for her to do well enough to get credit if she's making a B in the class. I'd certainly take some practice exams and see how she scores before deciding for sure whether or not to take the test. 

You don't have to report AP scores, but I"m not sure if you can only report selected scores - it may be all or none.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you already registered for the AP exam?  If not, it may be too late to do so for this year, so check asap!

I don't think there's a downside to taking the exam if you've already paid for it. Don't ask that it be sent to colleges on the answer sheet. When the scores come out, if you and your dd aren't happy with the score, you can have it completely deleted from your dd's record. Or, if there are certain colleges you don't want to send it to, you can withhold it from that college.

"After you take an AP Exam, we send your score report to the college or university that you designated on your answer sheet. Your score report is cumulative and includes scores for all the AP Exams you have ever taken, unless you requested that one or more scores be withheld from a college or canceled."

Check the AP Score Reporting page on the CB site for details about how to withhold (keep the score but don't report it to the college) or cancel (delete it permanently from the student's record.) 

When my sons applied to college last year, they self-reported their AP scores. We didn't send an actual report until after they were accepted, so we'd have had an opportunity to withhold or cancel scores if we had wanted to.

• Like 1

Thank you Yvonne. That link is very helpful. Knowing that we can cancel or erase the score is reassuring though I am hoping we don't have to. Yes we are scheduled for the exam. We did meet the registration deadline, were lucky enough to find that our local school system was welcoming of homeschoolers and we met the Feb deadline for accommodations and got those approved. So now it's just the actual exam she needs to conquer. Regards. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sooo... Have you managed to pass the exam properly? When I've read this thread, I remembered my own experience, I was in kinda similar situation. Hope everything went fine for you, wish you lucks and all the best! This situation occured when I was preparing to take a Cisco CCIE Certification, I was actually confused, especially when I had listened to all available for free vebinars, I finally decided to get some practice. Training exams and all similar services I found on spotoclub.com. Such a great servicing to use, highly recommend if you're working in the IT field.

Edited by Betty13