Menu

lanolizing wool soakers

the first time you wash and lanolize them how do you do it? i thought i did it right and was so excited to put my baby in his first soaker but the first time he peed in it the soaker leaked horribly all over my lap!

i soaked my soaker in a basin of warm water with baby shampoo for thirty minutes, rinsed it out, and squeezed out the excess water. then i sprayed it down with a mixture of one tsp. pure lanolin dissolved into a few tablespoons of very hot water in a spray bottle. i soaked it with this mixture, then placed it back in the basin and covered with warm water again. soaked it for thirty minutes. did not rinse, gently squeezed it out and rolled it in a towel, pressed out excess moisutre. laid flat to dry.

As someone who is allergic to wool/lanolin, are you sure you want to put it on your baby? I'm all for natural things for baby, but not something that is a potential allergen.

I'm not criticizing, but I can just feel the horrid itching that comes with my allergy, and can vividly imagine what that would be like for a non-verbal infant.

As someone who is allergic to wool/lanolin, are you sure you want to put it on your baby? I'm all for natural things for baby, but not something that is a potential allergen.

I'm not criticizing, but I can just feel the horrid itching that comes with my allergy, and can vividly imagine what that would be like for a non-verbal infant.

But see it goes both ways. I had to use wool for my dd because she had terrible reactions to any non-breathable cover we tried and poor thing had little bleeding rashes when we started with the disposables. Nothing cleared up her rash until we switched to wool covers. Cute little baby in great big clothe prefold diaper and big soft double layer merino wool soaker. She was adorable, but her bottom end was bigger than her top and it never had another rash. Natural isn't always a choice for people either.

I used to make and sell wool pants and soakers online for a few years :)

Here is what I recommended:

Wool soakers are so easy to look after. Simply allow the soaker to air out after each diaper change. Every 2 to 3 weeks, soak the wool soaker in a bowl of very warm water and baby soap or wool soaker wash. Very gently massage the soap and water through the soaker. Do not squeeze or twist it. Remove the soaker, and fill your bowl with clean very warm tap water (the same temperature as the soaker) Rinse your soaker with the same gentle motion. Roll your soaker in a fluffy towel, and apply pressure to press out the water. Lay the soaker on a dry towel or hang to dry.

Every couple of washes you will want to relanolize your wool soaker. Simply add this step on to the end of your washing routine. Mix a small amount of baby soap with a dime sized amount of lanolin in a covered jar filled with warm water. Shake well to dissolve. Then pour the mix over your rinsed soaker in the washing bowl. Add more warm water if needed to cover the soaker. Swirl the soaker around a little to make sure the lanonlin is evenly distributed. Allow the soaker to sit for at least 10 to 15 minutes (longer is fine). Gently massage the soaker again, and then rinse and allow to dry as normal. There is little work to it.

Temperature changes and agitation can cause wool to felt. The water temperature must remain constant. Never wash your soakers in hot water and rinse in cold water for example. When washing your soakers, gently massage the water through the wool. Rubbing or squeezing can cause felting to occur.

HTH

But see it goes both ways. I had to use wool for my dd because she had terrible reactions to any non-breathable cover we tried and poor thing had little bleeding rashes when we started with the disposables. Nothing cleared up her rash until we switched to wool covers. Cute little baby in great big clothe prefold diaper and big soft double layer merino wool soaker. She was adorable, but her bottom end was bigger than her top and it never had another rash. Natural isn't always a choice for people either.

I see your point. I bet that was a cute sight.

Just do a test for a while first before committing to woolies. That is all I ask.

I need to leave this thread and never re-visit it. I can't help clenching and thinking, "not on my hinny!"

What is a soaker and how does it work?

I've heard the term before and I know it is made of wool and is for babies that wear clothe diapers (I think).

Once the baby "soaks" the soaker, don't you change the soaker for a new one? I'm confused??

Wool is great fabric that absorbs a ton, but also pulls the moisture out to evaporate. It's breathable, yet waterproof.

I generally use a soaker for nights only and I use the same one for about a week, unless it gets poo on it.

I don't use wool, but I have heard that it's a good idea to do an extra spot-lanolizing in the wet zone. Based on the methods described, I'm not entirely sure how that would be done, but that's what I picked up along the grape vine at some point.

Also, you have to have to have enough absorbancy in the dipe or any cover will leak.

Wool is great fabric that absorbs a ton, but also pulls the moisture out to evaporate. It's breathable, yet waterproof.

I generally use a soaker for nights only and I use the same one for about a week, unless it gets poo on it.

Doesn't it smell bad from the urine? If it is absorbing urine isn't it dirty? I'm sorry, I still don't understand how it can be reused with out washing.

Doesn't it smell bad from the urine? If it is absorbing urine isn't it dirty? I'm sorry, I still don't understand how it can be reused with out washing.

It doesn't smell, you just hang it up to soak, and let it dry...and use another one. I love wool soakers! Of course, my youngest is 5 now...so don't use them anymore. I have many soakers, felted...(pendleton shirts) and I learned to crochet and knit so I could make soaker pants (long and short) bought some and made some out of sweaters. I always lanolized them. And, you can put an extra strip of lanolized wool down the middle for extra absorbency and like someone else said...make sure it's like a diaper service quality diaper....or it won't work. (But those are the kind of diapers you normally get unless you use just "burp diapers")

wool is naturally anti-bacterial and anti-microbil so no, it is not dirty. plant fibers will smell like urine which is why you will not find cotton or soy soakers. they absorb the urine and hold it. wool actually wicks the urine to the outmost part of the fiber where it evaporates. wool soakers really do not smell like pee, i promise!:tongue_smilie: