Menu

Classic Bible Reference Books in the Public Domain

Can we compile a list of classic Bible reference books that are in the public domain?

Strong's Concordance and Dictionary

Nave's Topical Bible

Vine's Expository Dictionary was written in the 1940's. Did it lapse into public domain, or does someone own the rights to it?

Matthew Henry Commentary

• Like 2

Hunter, this is a lovely idea.  

I am not certain whether or not the J. Paterson Smyth commentaries are classic, but some at least are public domain.  There is a site dedicated to his work and which includes free pdfs, and Google Books has some ebooks (here are the search results for John Paterson Smyth) including "The Bible for Home and School" which is meant for helping teach children the stories in Genesis. 

Also, the Smyth commentaries do not (so far as I can see) cover the whole Bible; they are rather an assortment. 

• Like 1

These are EXACTLY what I am talking about!

I just found this 2014 list that is overwhelming and sometimes outdated. I do not even know where to start with it! Less is more sometimes.

http://www.lettermen2.com/bcrrappb.html

Treasury of Scripture Knowledge. This book is in public domain, right?

Some of these books are really hard to find! Both free and in PRINT as a hardcopy. And as the KJV is being abandoned, the original versions of these books are abandoned, and parts of them cannibalized into software programs sold for large amounts of money. These books were all written to be read in hardcopy and used with a KJV. What are we LOSING, here? Never again will so many authors be writing so many books all keyed to the same translation. Investing in a hardcopy library of these books was a STABLE thing that LASTED. Now everything is completely revamped every couple years. New versions and all new reference books.

Many of the new and "improved" editions of these books are missing things that were included in earlier editions. And the samples online are often of ebooks without anything that does not easily convert to an ebook, like the Greek and Hebrew, pronunciation aids, timelines, etc. So even if the hardcopy DOES include these things, the ebook sample does not.

I think posting links to versions that are currently in print and priced appropriately for a public domain book would be helpful. And links to explanations of how to USE them. Also features to look for that might be missing. And links to nice free pdf scans and ebooks and whatever people find helpful.

We are sitting on a homeschooling treasure trove. 

• Like 1

Sword Searcher is PC software that uses the KJV and mostly public domain reference books.

Priced at $60.00 your money is spent on software development and not copyright.

The library list is a good list of the best of the best of public domain books.

https://www.swordsearcher.com/resources.html

There is a free 30 day trial of a limited version.

Logos has a free basic package that I did not know about until recently. It is enough to learn your way around logos and download some really good free resources and take advantage of monthly sales on eBooks that make them far cheaper than from Amazon. But buying the resources included in Sword Searcher for Logos would cost SOOOOO much more, and I am not sure they would be as good. 

https://www.logos.com/basic

The developer of Sword Search went all out to maximize the use of this public domain content. I am so glad that I did not invest in any of these titles for logos!