Menu

Could anyone compare DO and MWB Math series?

Hi,

I am looking for some advice and or recommendations. Could anyone compare and write the Pros and cons for both the programs?

I am leaning towards Derek Owens Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 or Math Without Borders Foerster Algebra 2 but have some queries:

1) As my kiddos are in full time high school and currently doing 6 full time courses so whatever I researched on the WTM boards I got the idea that the homework problems are 1 page in DO for each section of chapter but don’t know the number of questions at the end of each chapter tests, reviews and exams. The support is good but I don’t know the support for the distance learners. Can DL students email DO if they get stuck during the course work for clarification of Practice problem? Are the solutions step by step in the manual for self grading? How many hours of homework'll be given each week?  How many questions / practice problems are on each HW and Tests / Exam reviews and Exam papers? Would DL kids get their progress reports?

Could you compare DO Algebra 2 book with Foerster Algebra 2? Though I heard DO Algebra 2 book is light in a good amount of work problems or applications like Foerster's Algebra 2. Are both the books solid for STEM career? 

My ds is in the mid of Grade 10 right now so if he starts DO Algebra 2 this month then after 7-8 months he can start DO Pre Calculus that will end by next year but how can I squeeze a full year DO Geometry from now until August 2020 and he can’t take any course in his High school Grade 12, as his school has two Maths named Advanced Functions and Calculus and Vectors to do and apply for Universities. Any recommendation for condensed solid Geometry course?

He is a brilliant Math student always achieved 97% to 99% in Maths in Landry Academy and VHSG and local schools here.

2) I am tempting to Foerster Algrebra 2 due it’s solidness, real life Word problems and having Pre Calculus in half of the book. Regarding Math Without Borders Math book, what I saw a sample at Rainbow Resource books online that every section of each chapter has too much practice questions like 50 I saw in one sample, though we don’t mind this much questions like Saxon books but time is a important thing to kids so can’t spent this long to do all practice questions and I think tutors may recommend to do odds or evens only but I don’t know that skipping practice questions will be good for my kiddos. 

My dd's too slow and has a Mathphobia. Would DO be a good choice for such students? ls there any test assessment available to check the level?

Does MWB has good support for self paced students? We need a good support self paced courses as don’t want to let my kids stuck on any topic or problem and to waste the time and money.

Kindly correct me, if anything's not correct in this post. If anyone has any opinion and recommendations, kindly share it with me..

Thanks!

Edited by Rosepetal

I am slightly confused by your questions bc I thought that MWB used the Foerster textbooks. Did they publish their own?  

I have used Foerster's with all of my kids. I bought the MWB videos at one pt, yrs ago. My experience then was that they were just someone working through the examples in the textbook and pretty much just teaching the textbook content. I personally didn't find any value added from the audio bc I can read the book and explain exactly what it says (which is what I felt was all the videos did.) Back them there was no teacher support, but maybe there is now bc that was a probably 10?? yrs ago. (No idea, but it was a while ago.)

I have used DO 2x now for pre-cal. (The 2nd part of my confusion about your post.) My kids complete Foerster's alg 2/trig book and then follow it with a yr of pre-cal. My 2 dd's who have used DO pre-cal lectures have both liked the way he explains graphing trig function s better than the explanations in Foerster's. We have never used anything other than the DO lectures. We use the Sullivan textbook and I assign the problems and grade with its SM. If we can't figure something our, I'll ask one of my other kids or post a question on here.

My kids probably spend 1-2 hrs on math per day (depends on the day and whether or not we struggle with a problem.) 

I am also confused by your 10th grader's make background. You say he is brilliant in math, but he hasn't taken geometry or alg 2? What math is he is currently? What math did he take in 9th grade? Is he in school not taking a math credit right now?  Are these math courses meant to supplement school or be his math course?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I mean MWB Foerster books videos.

We admitted our son in local school, where he took Grade 9 Maths and now he has Grade 10 Maths in the second semester of his High school. We want to supplement it, in order to make him strong and get ahead in his High school.

My question is about Math sequence that how he will cover these full year Math courses in a short time and to compare both Maths program.

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, Rosepetal said:

Thanks for sharing your experience. I mean MWB Foerster books videos.

We admitted our son in local school, where he took Grade 9 Maths and now he has Grade 10 Maths in the second semester of his High school. We want to supplement it, in order to make him strong and get ahead in his High school.

My question is about Math sequence that how he will cover these full year Math courses in a short time and to compare both Maths program.

Thanks!

What is being covered in Math 9 and Math 10? Is there a valid concern in the math education to require completely redoing alg  2 and geometry? Will he be redoing pre-cal 2? When you state get ahead, do you mean skip a class in his school and place into a higher level course?

Without understanding you concerns about your ds's math skills, it is hard to answer your questions. Both programs are meant to be full high school courses, not supplemental material. Foerster's strength is word problems. If he has already completed alg 2, you could just have him go through the text completing the word problem and possibly chat tests. Foerster's word problems are all in a single section, so it would be easy vs finding word problems spread throughout multiple sections.

I have not seen DO's materials. He has published his own workbooks for the lower levels. I think there are materials for pre-cal, but I am not sure. For pre-cal, the videos follow the Sullivan text. Working through just his videos is time consuming, so don't discount just the video time in your assessment.

8 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

What is being covered in Math 9 and Math 10? Is there a valid concern in the math education to require completely redoing alg  2 and geometry? Will he be redoing pre-cal 2? When you state get ahead, do you mean skip a class in his school and place into a higher level course?

Without understanding you concerns about your ds's math skills, it is hard to answer your questions. Both programs are meant to be full high school courses, not supplemental material. Foerster's strength is word problems. If he has already completed alg 2, you could just have him go through the text completing the word problem and possibly chat tests. Foerster's word problems are all in a single section, so it would be easy vs finding word problems spread throughout multiple sections.

I have not seen DO's materials. He has published his own workbooks for the lower levels. I think there are materials for pre-cal, but I am not sure. For pre-cal, the videos follow the Sullivan text. Working through just his videos is time consuming, so don't discount just the video time in your assessment.

I agree with the concerns raised by 8, above. If your son is already a strong math student who has successfully completed the first two years of standard high school math, I would suggest that you look at AoPS for supplementation "in order to make him strong and get ahead in his High school." Having a strong student re-do basic algebra and geometry seems like torture to me, not supplementation.

As for your daughter, who you say is "too slow and has a Mathphobia," what do you mean by this? Too slow for what? How old is she and what math has she done? Is she struggling, or does she simply work more slowly and not like it? If she IS struggling, could you please describe what seems to be causing her problems? There are lots of curriculum choices out there to help struggling students, but the appropriate choice is going to depend upon what the particular challenge is.

10 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

My son has done Grade 9 last year from local High School  and the table of content of Grade 9 were in the pics attached. You can see how much Geometry was included in that curriculum.

FD50F394-B329-4D21-A3DD-A36A1498B074.jpeg

C3466469-41AD-43EC-8839-D1866DCF597E.jpeg

10 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Currently, my son is doing Grade 10 Maths  High School and the curriculum is here:

7D4A077C-D859-42F7-A74D-DED037617A42.jpeg

07320B54-9D5F-4135-B4B9-12982CDB962D.jpeg

Can we skip Geometry and whatever he has learned and is learning in his High school coursework, would be enough for Advanced courses Algebra 2 and Pre Calculus?

We are planning to go for Honours Level DO Algebra 2,so is this a good path for my son?

After seeing his last year and this year’s Math curriculum which Math would you suggest? Algebra 2?

My daughter is so slow in finishing her school work and doesn’t like Maths. 

Does AOPS has self paced courses like DO?

1 minute ago, Rosepetal said:

He wants to do Honours Level Maths work and to get ahead in his High school coursework.

If he wants to challenge himself, I would start with AoPS Intermediate Algebra. This won’t “get you ahead” in terms of linear progression, but will really deepen the math learning. You can progress linearly quicker with DO and along with other traditional math curricula, but they will be at the same level as public school. I guess the question to ask is why are you trying to get him “ahead”? Maybe you should reconsider and go deeper instead. It’s good to understand the motivation of he student.

I also want to add that if your son isn’t interested in math heavy major (math/physics) he might just be better off with DO instead of aops. This is going to be an unpopular opinion on this board since AoPS seems to be the default curriculum, but I suggest you think about the motivations before making decisions. 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1

Glancing through the math curricula that OP posted and that this is a school setting, it looks like her son is an intergrated math sequence. Nothing will line up for her when comparing traditional math courses in the homeschooling world. It will just ocme down to whether or not she is okay with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, calbear said:

Glancing through the math curricula that OP posted and that this is a school setting, it looks like her son is an intergrated math sequence. Nothing will line up for her when comparing traditional math courses in the homeschooling world. It will just ocme down to whether or not she is okay with that.

Yes, in Grade 9 & 10 there is Intergrated Math but in Grade 11 he will have Functions and in Grade 12 Advanced Functions and Calculus and Vectors.

So which courses do you recommend to do before his Grade 12? Algebra 2 and Pre Calculus? Kindly advice me. Thanks!

Edited by Rosepetal

I'm sorry I have no clue how you would weave in a traditional math progression with a student on an Integrated Math path without there being any holes.

I am guessing that this would be an example of what IM3 (his functions class) would cover:

Integrated Math III is the third course of a three course sequence. This course utilizes a problem­centered approach and includes content standards from Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2 and Statistics at an intermediate to advanced level including coordinate geometry, circles and other conic sections, binomial distributions, permutations and combinations, exponential and logarithmic functions, rates of change, derivatives, trigonometry and quadratics. The course requires that students further develop the logic needed for abstract problem solving and emphasizes the common core standards through examining polynomial functions, exponents and logs, trigonometric functions (equations and applications) triangle trigonometry (law of sine and cosine) trigonometric addition formulas, and solving trigonometric equations. The second semester examines analytic geometry, polar coordinates, geometric representation of complex numbers, powers of complex numbers, roots of complex numbers, vectors and determinants, sequences, series, limits and iterated functions, and introduction to calculus, including finding derivatives of curves, using derivatives in curve sketching, extreme value problems, and velocity and acceleration. 

Edited by calbear

This's the curriculum for Grade 11 Functions:

Grade 11 Functions Topics:

Chapter 1 Introduction to Functions

1.1 Relations and Functions                        

1.2 Function Notation                   

1.3 Exploring Properties of Parent Functions                                      

1.4 Range and Domain                  

Mid Chapter Review                                     

1.5 The Inverse Function                             

1.6 Parent Functions                      

1.7 Horizontal Stretches, Compressions, and Reflections                              

1.8 Using Transformations to Graph Functions of the Form y = af[k(x -d)] + c                      

Functions Chapter Review                                          

Practice Test                                    

Chapter 2 Equivalent Algebraic Expressions

2.1 Adding and Subtracting Polynomials                

2.2 Multiplying Polynomials                        

2.3 Factoring Polynomials                            

2.4 Simplifying Rational Functions                            

Mid Chapter Review                      

2.5 Exploring Graphs of Rational Functions                          

2.6 Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions                             

2.7 Adding and Subtracting Rational Expressions                               

Chapter Polynomials and Rational Review                                           

Rational Expression Chapter Test                             

Chapter 3 Quadratic Functions

3.1 Properties of Quadratic Functions                    

3.2 Determining Maximum and Minimum Values of a Quadratic Function                             

3.3 The Inverse of a Quadratic Function                

3.4 Operations with Radicals                      

Mid Chapter Review                                     

3.5 Quadratic Function Models: Solving Quadratic Equations                       

3.6 The Zeros of Quadratic Functions                     

3.7 Families of Quadratic Functions                         

3.8 Linear-Quadratic Systems                    

Chapter Quadratics Review                                        

Practice Test Quadratic Functions                                           

Chapter 1 to 3 Review Questions                                            

Chapter 4 Exponential Functions

4.1 Exploring Growth and Decay                                              

4.2 Working with Integer Exponents                      

4.2 Working with Integers Exponents                                   

4.3 Working with Rational Exponents                     

4.4 Simplifying Algebraic Expressions Involving Exponents                           

Exponent Properties mid Chapter Review                                          

4.5 Exploring the Properties of Exponential Functions                    

4.6 Transformations of Exponential Functions                    

4.7 Applications Involving Exponential Functions                              

Chapter Exponential Review                                      

Chapter Practice Test                                   

Chapter 5 Trigonometric Ratios

5.1 Trig Ratios in Acute Triangles                               

5.2 Special Angles                           

5.3 Trig Ratios greater than 90                   

5.4 Relevant Acute Angles                          

Mid Chapter Review on Trig                                      

5.5 Trig Identities                            

5.6 Sine Law                      

5.7 Cosine Law                 

5.8 Trigonometry 3D problems                  

Chapter Review                                               

Chapter Test - in Progress                                          

Chapter 6 Sinusoidal Functions

6.1 Periodic Functions                   

6.2 Investigating Properties of Sinusoidal functions                         

6.3 Interpreting Sinusoidal Functions                     

Mid Chapter Review                                     

6.4 Exploring Transformation of Sinusoidal functions                      

6.5 Sketching Sinusoidal Functions                          

6.6 Investigating Model of Sinusoidal functions                 

6.7 Solving Problems Using Sinusoidal                                   

Chapter Review                               

Chapter Test on Trig Functions                                  

Ch 4 to 6 Cumulative Review                                     

Chapter 7 Discrete Functions

7.1 Arithmetic Sequence                             

7.2 Geometric Sequence                             

7.3 Creating Rules to Define Sequences                

7.4 Recursive Sequences                             

7.5 Arithmetic Series                     

7.6 Geometric Series                     

7.7 Pascal's Triangle                        

Chapter Sequences and Series Review                 

Practice Test                     

Chapter 8 Financial Applications

8.1 Simple Interest                         

8.2 Compound Interest Future Value                     

8.3 Compound Interest Present Value                  

8.4 Future Value                              

8.5 Present Value                           

Could someone point out that which chps are Geometry here?

This's the curriculum for Grade 12   Advanced Functions & Calculus and Vectors :

Grade 12 Advanced Functions Topics:

Chapter 1 Functions, Characteristics and Properties

1.1 Functions

1.2 Exploring Absolute Value

1.3 Properties of Graphs of Functions

Mid Chapter Review on Functions

1.4 Sketching Graphs of Functions

1.5 Inverse Function

1.6 Piecewise Function

1.7 Exploring Operations with Functions

Chapter Review

Chapter Practice Test on Functions

Chapter 2 Functions-Understanding Rates of Change

2.1 Determining Average Rates of Change

2.2 Estimating Instantaneous Rates of Change of Change from Tables of Values and Equations

2.3 Exploring Instantaneous Rates of Change Using Graphs

2.4 Using Rates of Change to Create a Graphical Model

2.5 Solving Problems Involving Rates of Change

Chapter Review on Rates of Change

Chapter 3 Polynomial Functions

3.1 Exploring Polynomial Function

3.2 Characteristics of Polynomial Functions

3.3 Characteristics of Polynomial Functions in Factored Form

3.4 Transformation of Cubic and Quartic Functions

3.5 Dividing Polynomials

3.6 Factoring Polynomials

3.7 Factoring a Sum of Differences of Cubes

Chapter Review

Chapter Practice Test

Chapter 4 Polynomial Equations and Inequalities

4.1 Solving Polynomial Equations

4.2 Solving Linear Inequalities

4.3 Solving Polynomial Inequalities

4.4 Rates of Change in Polynomial Functions

Chapter Review

Chapter 5 Rational Functions, Equations, and Inequalities

5.1 Graphs of Reciprocal Functions

5.2 Exploring Quotients of Polynomial Functions

5.3 Graphs of Rational Functions of the form f(x) = (ax + b)/(cx + d)

5.4 Solving Rational Equations

5.5 Solving Rational Inequalities

5.6 Rates of Change in Rational Functions

Chapter Review

Chapter Test

Chapter 6 Trigonometric Functions

6.1 Radian Measure

6.2 Radian Measure and Angles on the Cartesian Plane

6.3 Exploring Graphs of the Primary Trigonometric Functions

6.4 Transformations of Trigonometric Functions

6.5 Exploring Graphs of the Reciprocal Trigonometric Functions

6.6 Modelling with Trigonometric Functions

6.7 Rates of Change in Trigonometric Functions

Chapter Review

Chapter Test

Chapter 7 Trigonometric Identities and Equations

7.1 Exploring Equivalent Trigonometric Functions

7.2 Compound Angle Formulas

7.3 Double Angle Formula

7.4 Proving Trigonometric Identities

7.5 Solving Linear Trigonometric Equations

7.6 Solving Quadratic Trigonometric Equations

Chapter Review of Trig Identities and Equations

Chapter Test - work in progress

Chapter 8 Exponential and Logarithmic Functions

8.1 Exploring the Logarithmic Function

8.2 Transformations of Logarithmic Functions

8.3 Evaluating Logarithms

Mid Chapter Review

8.4 Laws of Logarithms

8.5 Solving Exponential Equations

8.6 Tutorials of Solving Logarithmic Equations

8.7 Solving Problems with Exponential and Logarithmic Functions

8.8 Rates of Change in Exponential and Logarithmic Functions

Chapter Review for Logs

Chapter Test

Chapter 9 Combinations of Functions

9.1 Exploring Combinations of Functions

9.2 Tutorials of Combining Two Functions - Sums and Differences

9.3 Tutorials of Combining Two Functions - Products

9.4 Exploring Quotients of Functions

9.5 Composition of Functions

9.6 Techniques for Solving Equations and Inequalities

9.7 Modelling with Functions

Grade 12 Calculus and Vectors Topics:

Chapter 1 Introduction to Calculus

1.1 Radical Expressions Rationalizing Denominators

1.2 The Slope of a Tangent

1.3 Rates of Change

1.4 Limit of a Function

1.5 Properties of Limits

1.6 Continuity

Chapter Review Limits and Continuity

Chapter Test

Chapter 2 Derivatives

2.1 The Derivative Function

2.2 The Derivatives of Polynomial Functions

2.3 The Product rule

2.4 The Quotient Rule

2.5 Derivative of Composite Functions

Chapter Review Derivative Rules

Chapter Test

Chapter 3 Derivatives and their Applications

3.1 High Order Derivatives, Velocities, and Acceleration

3.2 Max and Min on a Interval

3.3 Optimization Problems

3.4 Optimization in Economics and Science

Chapter Review Optimization

Chapter Test on Optimization

Chapter 4 Curve Sketching

4.1 Increasing and Decreasing Functions

4.2 Critical Points, Local Maxima, Local Minima

4.3 Vertical and Horizontal Asymptotes

Graphing Mid Chapter Review

4.4 Concavity and Points of Inflection

4.5 An Algorithm for Curve Sketching

Chapter Review Curve Sketching

Chapter 5 Derivatives of Exponential and Trigonometric Functions

5.1 Derivatives of Exponential Functions, y=e^x

5.2 Derivative of y =b^x

5.3 Optimization Problems Involving Exponential Functions

5.4 The Derivatives of sinx and cosx

5.5 Derivative of tan(x)

5.6 Chapter Review Log and Trig Functions

Cumulative Calculus Review

Chapter 6 Introduction to Vectors

6.0 Chapter Pre Req. Review of Trig

6.1 An Introduction to Vectors

6.2 Vector Addition

6.3 Multiplication of a Vector by a Scalar

6.4 Properties of Vectors

6.5 Vectors in 2D and 3D

6.6 Operations with Algebraic Vectors in 2D

6.7 Operation with Vectors in 3D

6.8 Linear Combination and Spanning Sets

Introduction to Vectors Chapter Review

Chapter 7 Applications of Vectors

7.1 Vectors as Forces

7.2 Vectors as Velocity

7.3 The Dot Product of Two Geometric Vectors

7.4 The Dot Product of Algebraic Vectors

Mid Chapter Review

7.5 Scalar and Vector Projections

7.6 The Cross Product of Two Vectors

7.7 Applications of Dot and Cross Product

Applications of Vectors Chapter Review

Chapter 8 Equations of Lines and Planes

8.1 Vector and Parametric Equations of a Line in 2D

8.2 Cartesian equation of a Line

8.3 Vector, Parametric and Symmetric Equations of a line in 3D

8.4 Vector and Parametric Equations as Plane

8.5 The Cartesian Equation of a Plane

8.6 Sketching Planes in 3D

8.7 Mid Chapter Review

Chapter Review

Chapter Test

Chapter 9 Relations between Points, Lines and Planes

9.1 The intersection of a Line with a Plane and the Intersection of Two Lines

9.2 System of Equations

9.3 The Intersection of Two Planes

9.4 The Intersection of Three Planes

9.5 The Distance from a Point to a Line in R2

9.6 The Distance from a Point to a Plane

Relations between Points, Lines and Planes Chapter Review

Relations between Points, Lines and Planes Test

Vectors Cumulative Review

Chapter 10 Appendix

10.1 Implicit Differentiation

10.2 Related Rates

10.3 Derivative of Natural Logs

10.4 Derivative of Log Functions

10.5 Derivative of Log or Exponent that Requires Implicit

Could someone point out that which chps are Geometry here? Thanx! 

8 minutes ago, Rosepetal said:

Yes, in Canada. The school is using Nelson Mathematics series from Grade 9-12 here.

OK. I was surprised to see Calculus along with other material in grade 12. 

They seem to cover all the material in their own sequence, different than in the states.

If I were you, I would contact Derek Owens and see if he can do a placement test for your son and go from there. 

As there are so many experienced and Maths expert ladies here so can they help me in taking out the Geometry and Pre Calculus topics in these Grade 11 and 12 course content? I am totally helpless..... Anyone can pm me if they don’t mind helping! Thanks!

Edited by Rosepetal

Hi Rosepetal,

Based on the curriculum, are you in Ontario? 🙂  That's where I am and where I've taught in the public high school system.  It's also where I went to high school. 🙂

If your son has done Grades 9 and 10 Academic math, then he will have covered most of what is in a Geometry course in the States.  The Grade 11 Functions course and the Grade 12 Advanced Functions course together will be more or less equivalent to a Pre-Calculus course.  And Calculus is Calculus. 🙂  Having said that, though, much will depend on the school he is currently at.  As you know, all public schools are not equal and there are schools and teachers who simply don't cover everything that they are supposed to in any given course for a variety of reasons.  If your son is strong in math, he should be able to start Derek Owens Pre-Calculus course after finishing his Grade 10 Academic math.  If there are any gaps in knowledge, they should be small and he should be able to either reason through them or find short videos on those topics on Khan Academy - if his Grade 10 math course is thorough. 🙂

Hope that helps!

Connie

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dicentra said:

Hi Rosepetal,

Based on the curriculum, are you in Ontario? 🙂  That's where I am and where I've taught in the public high school system.  It's also where I went to high school. 🙂

If your son has done Grades 9 and 10 Academic math, then he will have covered most of what is in a Geometry course in the States.  The Grade 11 Functions course and the Grade 12 Advanced Functions course together will be more or less equivalent to a Pre-Calculus course.  And Calculus is Calculus. 🙂  Having said that, though, much will depend on the school he is currently at.  As you know, all public schools are not equal and there are schools and teachers who simply don't cover everything that they are supposed to in any given course for a variety of reasons.  If your son is strong in math, he should be able to start Derek Owens Pre-Calculus course after finishing his Grade 10 Academic math.  If there are any gaps in knowledge, they should be small and he should be able to either reason through them or find short videos on those topics on Khan Academy - if his Grade 10 math course is thorough. 🙂

Hope that helps!

Connie

Dicentra, Thankyou very much for easing me! One thing to ask that in Ontario Maths when school board covers Algebra 2 (USA)?In Grade 10 and Gr 11 of Ontario Public Schools?

Can my son skip DO Geometry course? Whatever Geometry he has learned in his school Grade 9 and 10,will that be good enough for DO Pre Calculus course? Would  this sequence looks good- DO Algebra 2 ———DO Pre Calculus ———DO Calculus? 

We want to do Geometry course also, but due to time constraints we have to choose the accelerated path.

Thanks!!!

As I mentioned previously, much will depend on how thorough his public school math classes have been.  You can sign him up for DO Algebra 2, try it for a month (Derek Owens charges per month of access), and see how he does.  If he seems to be comfortable, then I think your sequence above is fine.

Algebra 2 in the US is probably mostly covered over the course of Grade 9 and 10 Academic math with some not being covered until Grade 11 Functions (I'm thinking in particular of roots and logarithms).  If you have your son start with DO Algebra 2 after Grade 10 Academic math, that should be fine.

If you really are looking for enrichment, though, AoPS would be a good curriculum to look at.  The courses there are not going to be comparable to other curriculae.  In other words, AoPS Intermediate Algebra is going to be more rigorous and go deeper than Algebra 2 in another curriculum.  This is the placement test for AoPS Intermediate Algebra:

https://data.artofproblemsolving.com//products/diagnostics/intermediate-algebra-pretest.pdf

All that to say - don't be worried if you decide to go with AoPS and your son seems to need to go back a bit.

• Like 1