Menu

Standardized Spelling Tests ONLINE

Hello from Australia

I am new to this site, so its very nice to be here!
I am so grateful for the resource that SWB has given to the world, its been holding my hand for a while now, and I finally made the plunge to take responsibility for my little girl.

I bought alot of textbooks recommended from Amazon. Love Amazon. The books are amazing.

Now down to the nuts and bolts. I didnt get a spelling program, and I cant figure out what level my daughter, 10, is at spelling wise.
It was very hard to get any meaningful communication with her school last year, and I am not sure if she struggles with some of the bigger words in particular. But shes great at pretending/throwing a fit.

If I could get a hook on where she is, I could then use one of the word lists on the internet and go from there.
Theres not a lot in Australia, so I end up on the net alot, ordering things which is OK.
ANY help appreciated.

I enjoy reading the threads they are very helpful

Sincerely

Barb

Do you have any reason to suspect her spelling, in particular, is not at the usual grade level? Or that her reading isn't?

Edit: Then again, my answer doesn't really have to wait on yours, so I'll give it now. She's ten, and she won't suffer much if spelling/vocabulary is put on hold for a few months. Observe how she spells when writing for you, and then you'll have a better idea of where she is and what sort of curriculum she needs... if any. There are some kids that by ten don't really need a formal spelling curriculum anymore because they pretty much know how to spell all words they might be called upon to spell already. Waiting and watching for a few months will give you some more time to find a good spelling curriculum for Australian spelling.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 1

there is LEM- an Australian Spading type program http://lem.com.au/index.php?menusort=&Menu1=LEM&Menu2=LEM~LEM Phonics&Products=LEM~LEM Phonics~Manuals/Word Lists&mode=browse. if you click on the books it has sample wordlists

there is Spelling Matters- a book that some Aus schools use and can be purchased through a regular school book supplier which means you can look through the different levels first

there is also Spelling Power which covers all grades in one massive book

Personally I have used LEM with my older children and am now using All About Spelling with my younger 3 I have purchased AAS from https://www.theeducationalwarehouse.com/ 

if you are not concerned about her spelling you could always go straight to  wordstudy. Something like Vocabulary from Classical Roots

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...