Menu

6 month old kitten peeing outside of litter box

maize

This is a male kitten, neutered, just normal peeing not spraying. He especially likes laundry, clean or dirty.

Any ideas on how to stop this behavior? 

Really I'd prefer he go outside for everything as my adult cats do, if anyone knows how to train that. My other cats just preferred outside (we have a cat door so they come and go as they please); this guy only likes to poop in a litter box and likes to pee on anything soft.

I would contain the kitten in room like the bathroom until he gets it..... It shouldn't take too long.....

Then, make sure all the clothes are put away, and make certain he has easy access to a litter box. Smaller kittens may need more than one box, so it's closer by.

Like kids, kittens need the litter box in a easy to get to spot or they might have an accident.

• Like 1

Ditto @Okra, except I'd always have at least two litter boxes. Not just until he gets older.

The general rule for cats is one box for each cat plus one more. So one cat=two boxes. There are a couple of reasons for that recommendation, but the one that applies here is that some cats like to pee in one box and poop in another. Also, since you know he likes soft stuff you could try putting a disposal puppy pee pad in one box instead of litter.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Ditto @Okra, except I'd always have at least two litter boxes. Not just until he gets older.

The general rule for cats is one box for each cat plus one more. So one cat=two boxes. There are a couple of reasons for that recommendation, but the one that applies here is that some cats like to pee in one box and poop in another. Also, since you know he likes soft stuff you could try putting a disposal puppy pee pad in one box instead of litter.

I did just order some puppy pads; I'm going to try putting one in the spot he seems to like best. Debating whether it is worth investing in another nice box or whether I can make do with something I already have around the house. The main litter box is a big covered one with stairs into it; keeps the litter from getting spread outside the box and, more importantly, keeps my toddler out. If one box ends up being just for pee I can probably go with something much simpler.

• Like 1

There's thought these days that rescue people w/ awesome intentions -- stemming pet overpopulation -- were in fact neutering kittens and puppies at much too young of an age -- and, by doing that, they were inadvertently causing lifelong urinary problems of one kind or another in the kittens or puppies.

I worked in rescue for many years and remember when neutering and spaying kittens and puppies was the right thing to do. Or so we thought.

Today vets are strongly encouraging people to wait until the kitten or puppy is about 13 mo. old before spaying or neutering.

I learned all of this because I adopted a kitten from a humane society when he was itty-bitty. And -- within his first year -- he started having urinary problems.

I'll just tell you what our vet did (when the vet in our former state didn't know what to do):

1. First he told me to get a different cat litter -- to see if the cat litter was bothering my kitty for some reason.

2. When we realized that his issues had nothing to do w/ the cat litter, our vet gave our -- by then -- three year old cat a "surgery" where he was anesthetized and his (ahem) was pulled and extended manually. Sounds weird but it seemed to help.

3. Our kitty was then put on a special cat food: Hills c/d for urinary incontinence. It requires a prescription and I get a great price at Chewy.com. (I get wet and dry.)

4. The vet also had me sprinkle 1/2 a capsule of Dasuquin for cats into his c/d wet food in the morning and evening.

5. Because he also had a second problem when he eliminated (#2), the vet also has me putting 1/8th of a teaspoon of Metamucil in his wet food twice a day too (non-flavored which I can only find at Publix).

I know all of this sounds like a lot, but it really becomes second nature to dissolve the stuff in his food. Plus it's wonderful to have a happy cat.

I also take him to the vet four times a year or so when we see him "dragging" his rear end on the carpet. It means that his anal glands aren't emptying properly and he needs it done manually.So I take him to the vet and they "excrete his anal glands."

Here's the thing: my good friend who adores her cats didn't go this route. Instead her vet did a surgery on her kitty and turned him into a her.

So, you probably think I'm a loon, but I love my kitty and I just kept trying to make him feel better.

I hope some of this is helpful,

Alley

• Like 1