Menu

Math to pair with Miquon

lulalu

Thinking ahead to next year 2nd grade. 

Ds is 6 and working in Miquon the blue book currently and using Singapore 1 as a supplement to have more practice on facts. He LOVES math and LOVES miquon. It is his favorite part of the day and he asks for it all the time! 

Wondering if Beast Academy would pair well with Miquon. I am thinking the challenge would be good for his love of math. 

I also am thinking of Dr. Wright's Kitchen Table Math. So we could move more at my ds pace? But maybe this wouldn't give the needed practice. 

Or move up in Singapore. It has been fine this year, but I am not loving it. It gets the job done and done well. 

Out of those three what do you think would pair best with Miquon? Or is there something else I should look into? 

We already play a lot of math games, and have RightStart math games. 

That's what we've done. We did BA and Miquon, partially just to slow down their math progress. I did level 3 with dd8 because level 2 wasn't out yet, but am doing level 2 with dd6. I do have to say, I'm not as big of a fan of level 2 as level 3 and 4 (no experience with level 5). 

I think they're a great combo.

I have KTM, but I use it much more as a reference than as a curriculum. Almost as a really detailed scope and sequence to make sure that they are understanding important comcepts, or as a diagnostic tool if they're confused.

• Like 2

Two of mine went from Miquon(grades k-2) to Beast (grades k-5), and now that Beast 2 is out I have another doing Beast and Miquon simultaneously.  He finished the orange and red book, and then started 2a. It's a great match.

The only thing Miquon "lacks" is word problems and fact memorization.  I've definitely used it stand-alone, simply games or drill for facts work.  But adding word problems would be ideal.  Maybe the signapore word problem book?  Or Beast had a lot.

• Like 2

My oldest did RS, Miquon and Singapore together then moved into BA. My second is doing a little of all four simultaneously. Beast Academy is more visual on the paper so in some ways it's easier than the others, in level 2 anyway. Miquon and RS are great for number sense. I primarily use Singapore for the number bonds, making a ten addition/subtraction practice, and the CWP so I just do the textbooks orally and he does the CWP. Miquon in our house is an independent use program, not a program for lesson time.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 11:43 PM, MeaganS said:

I have KTM, but I use it much more as a reference than as a curriculum. Almost as a really detailed scope and sequence to make sure that they are understanding important comcepts, or as a diagnostic tool if they're confused.

That sounds like a good idea. I looked at them all from the library and so much is packed in these books!

On 1/19/2019 at 8:41 PM, square_25 said:

I think Beast would be a good complement. From what I've seen, they'd go well together: Miquon teaches the concepts well, and Beast teaches "beating your head against the wall and not giving up." Personally, I prefer BA-style problems for concepts that are already solid, though.

Thanks for the tip. That makes sense to have the concept down already!

Sometimes I feel like I am trying to use too much for math, and then you all say what you are using and I feel normal! 

I have debating throwing in the towel to conceptual math and just going with CLE or R&S. But I keep feeling drawn to the conceptual. And making it more work for me!