Menu

A question for people who know Classical Latin

What is the pronunciation difference between portum and portuum?   It's driving me crazy!  I can't find an online pronunciation guide to help me. 

Since both of the U's in portuum are short, are the two words pronounced the same?  Or do the two U's blend in some way?  Or is there a glottal stop between them?  Please help.

1 hour ago, nixpix5 said:

Portuum is pronounced as two vowels in hiatus. Quus is the exception but other uum and uus endings are pronounced as separate vowel sounds. 

So port - uh -um?  Or port-eye-am?   I'm not sure I understand.  Thanks so much!  I really appreciate the help.

I pronounce portuum like por-two-oom. Don't know if that's correct.

(Or port-oo-oom, I guess, if you break it before the vowels, but I don't.  Again, not sure that's right, just offering an opinion.)

Edited by RootAnn
Second option
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Serenade said:

So port - uh -um?  Or port-eye-am?   I'm not sure I understand.  Thanks so much!  I really appreciate the help.

Oo-uhm 🙂

it really depends on what pronunciation you are using. Typically though 4th declension prn sounds like port-uhm and por-too-uhm.

a more ecclesiastical pronunciation will give you more of a double long u sound I believe. httedited

Edited to add a short video link

Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nixpix5 said:

Oo-uhm 🙂

it really depends on what pronunciation you are using. Typically though 4th declension prn sounds like port-uhm and por-too-uhm.

a more ecclesiastical pronunciation will give you more of a double long u sound I believe. httedited

Thank you so much!  You'e been so helpful.  I will show my son the video, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mamamoose said:

por too oom 

11 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I pronounce portuum like por-two-oom. Don't know if that's correct.

(Or port-oo-oom, I guess, if you break it before the vowels, but I don't.  Again, not sure that's right, just offering an opinion.)

Thank you so much!  This has been driving me crazy.