Menu

Is there an online biology class that is fun

Not exactly fun, but one that has a lot of interaction with the teacher and some chat time with other students. I’ve looked through the pinned thread. 

I was thinking of either going through Miller now through the summer and taking Intro to Organic Chemistry with Dicentra in the fall or just taking an online biology class for 9th grade. All other classes that Dd wants to take need biology, classes such as Marine Biology, Anatomy, etc.

I have Miller Biology on Mac, but it looks pretty dry to read through it on one's own. 

Edited by crazyforlatin

Isn't the WTM class like that?

But even better would be to provide an experience that is interactive yourself.  Don't have your student simply read a textbook and answer comprehension questions.  Homeschooling allows for a much richer experience than that.  

10 hours ago, EKS said:

But even better would be to provide an experience that is interactive yourself.  Don't have your student simply read a textbook and answer comprehension questions.  Homeschooling allows for a much richer experience than that.  

In our case, I'm looking for something somewhat advanced but not AP, which looks to me might suck the joy out of biology. I'm working more than before, so I think outsourcing a single class next year would be a good idea. ETA- Not necessarily outsource, but I don't want to re-invent anything.

I looked over the MIT courses and they would require some juggling because they don't have video lectures in the course I like best.

Edited by MamaSprout

21 hours ago, EKS said:

Normally it's what I would do, teach it myself and carry out discussions, but it seems that DD enjoys being in a classroom setting even if it's just online and enjoys learning from an expert. I could have taught Dd Chemistry since I had a couple of courses back in college, way back then, but my knowledge would have been contained within the confines of the book whereas Dicentra (currently DD's Chemistry teacher) goes beyond the book with her students. I think I would teach a regular biology course since it would have to start within a couple of months in order to finish by the of summer if I were to enroll DD in a different science course in the fall. I just can't decide what science progression to follow, whether colleges care about the traditional sciences, or even what colleges are possible for us.

11 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

Link? I don't see it.

I thought I saw the course last year, but it doesn't to be on their website this yea