Menu

Bread bakers, can you help me?

My bread loaves and rolls are always heavy and dense with thicker crust than I like.

Based on that sparse description, what would you guess that I am doing wrong?

Am I not kneading long enough? Using the wrong flour? Not allowing the bread to rise long enough?

I have a recipe that I want to make for Thanksgiving, but I tested the rolls yesterday and I had the usual dilemma. I love the flavor, but the weight and texture leaves much to be desired.

Is there any hope that I can some day bake my own bread...and like it?

A tough crust or a crusty crust?

I'd suggest a few things. First, substitute some scalded milk for some of the water - maybe 50-50. Yes, it must be scalded.

Increase the fat in your recipe, which means you'll probably have to increase the sugar as well. Those are generally the same proportion in a bread dough. Even a tablespoon more of fat changes a 4 cup flour recipe. I've found that using oil instead of solid fat (butter or shortening) produces a lighter loaf. I never use veggie oil, but I don't think you'd change the liquids to accommodate the change to oil.

Are you using 2 rises and a proof? Are you giving the proof (final) rise enough time?

I often add some soy milk powder to my bread recipes to get more lift from the yeast.

I'm doing well! I haven't been around here much lately. :tongue_smilie: It's funny.... I always hoped the board would change to this kind of format, then when it did I didn't come here as much. Go figure. LOL

My guess is that you are using too much flour or not letting it rise long enough.

Things I would recommend:

• Weigh your flour. 1 C. all purpose weighs about 4 oz (off the top of my head) Many times this is all it takes.
  • Make sure you don't proof the yeast with water that is too hot.
  • Put your bread somewhere warm to rise. I use the oven with the light on.
  • Really, really preheat your oven and make sure you're cooking it as hot as you can.

I really like Breadtopia for some great bread recipes. He has lots of videos and they really helped me see what I was doing wrong when I baked bread.

HTH!