Menu

Start 2nd grader in 1st grade or 2nd? (My Father's World)

omishev

We are planning on homeschooling next year and using My Father's World. My oldest will be in 2nd but the I like the looks of the Biblical overview in the first grade program. The review certainly won't hurt her and the style is so different from what she is used to in B&M school that I don't think she will notice or mind. I am planning on starting in the summer and schooling year round with breaks as needed. We have younger kids too so we will end up purchasing the 1st grade program the following year anyway assuming we like the curriculum and homeschooling in general. So is there any harm in sort of repeating 1st grade?

2 hours ago, omishev said:

We are planning on homeschooling next year and using My Father's World. My oldest will be in 2nd but the I like the looks of the Biblical overview in the first grade program. The review certainly won't hurt her and the style is so different from what she is used to in B&M school that I don't think she will notice or mind. I am planning on starting in the summer and schooling year round with breaks as needed. We have younger kids too so we will end up purchasing the 1st grade program the following year anyway assuming we like the curriculum and homeschooling in general. So is there any harm in sort of repeating 1st grade?

As long as you know that your dc is still a "second grader," even if you are using materials written for "first graders." 🙂

I am not familiar with that particular program. But when I took my oldest out of school we used curriculum that was way below their "grade at school " I found that they enjoyed the ease of it. it gave them confidence and they whizzed through 3 years of program in less than 2 years. They leaned things they didn't know and they filled gaps in their learning 

• Like 4

I love MFW but I would  never use it behind grade level unless my child needed remediation or accommodation. It would be too weak.

You're right about the  first grade bible program; it's wonderful.  The bible notebook is my favorite keepsake from all my homeschool years! A couple of sessions a week will complete it in a school year.

If I were you I would use the 2nd grade program for all subjects plus the bible reader and notebook from the first grade year. 

Best wishes as you begin your journey!

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 7:57 PM, smily said:

I love MFW but I would  never use it behind grade level unless my child needed remediation or accommodation. It would be too weak.

You're right about the  first grade bible program; it's wonderful.  The bible notebook is my favorite keepsake from all my homeschool years! A couple of sessions a week will complete it in a school year.

If I were you I would use the 2nd grade program for all subjects plus the bible reader and notebook from the first grade year. 

Best wishes as you begin your journey!

Oh so is each subject separate? I haven't bought the curriculum yet and it sounded like the subjects were integrated so I wasn't sure if it was even possible to pick and choose.