Menu

Does such a book exist? Anthology of readings to go with Ancient History

Hi all, Looking for a book for my Freshman DS who is doing ancient History this year. I wanted him to do some sample readings from primary sources (translated of course) from various writers through out the time periods/locations. He is taking a separate literature course, so this is just for exposure and to supplement. 

I found this book  but $83 Yikes!

I would like secular if possible. I found this, but from 1st looks and reviews seems based on Christian world view? 

Any reviews on these:

Oxford the world in ancient times?

Perspectives from the past?

Words of the Ancient Romans?

Or another I haven't found yet???

I mean I guess I could get separate books, but thought maybe there was an anthology I could use.

DS loves history, so I want something he will enjoy, and exposes him to various writings, some Cicero, Greek plays, Herodotus, Plato, Virgil, etc. For reference he is reading Susan's History of the Ancient World and using Great Courses (by Aldrete and Garland) lectures and answering the discussion questions (from the lectures) for writing output. He reads and does a ton of extra on his own, mostly about military history. 

Thanks

Not quite what you are looking for, I'm afraid, but I have the second volume (later time period) of Worlds of History. I like that it has primary sources (in some cases translated) & some commentary. I picked mine up for less than $5. It looks like you might be able to get a used version for under $10 if you go with an older edition. "Look inside" (first link) to see what all it includes.

I have the Bedford Anthology of World Literature. Alas, my middle schoolers were nowhere near this level of reading. I bet I won't have any better luck next year in high school, but I'm not ready to give up my dream! Anyway, it starts in Mesopotamia and progress through Egypt, Ancient Hebrews, Greece, Rome, India, China. There are second that do cross-cultural comparisons with topics like "religion to philosophy" and "heroes and citizens". Like any anthology, you may find it too heavy on "selections from" entries, but it may also Serbs as a jumping off point.

Here is the copy I have, Beginnings to 100 C.E., although used for much, much, much less. Yikes. Mine says it came from Thriftbooks.

• Like 2

I have the book Sources from the Western Tradition volume 1. Although it goes through the Enlightenment, it does have six chapters on the Ancient World. Those chapters cover 

1. The Near East
  2. The Hebrews
  3. the Greeks
  4. The Roman Republic
  5. The Roman Empire
  6. Early Christianity

There are other publishers that make similar books,  their mostly designed for college level, but accessible to a higher schooler, imo.