Menu

Practical Skills Education: The Great British Baking Show, Homeschool Edition

When I started this homeschooling journey, I thought that we would spend a lot more time on practical, hands-on life skills than most kids.  We haven’t thus far, but lately my girls are in love with the Great British Baking Show, and I’ve had a fun idea.  We could do baking challenges like in the show, but without the strict stressful time limits—so rather than three related challenges on breads or pastries or whatever over the course of a single weekend, we’d do them over a month, with a whole week to do each challenge.  That would also give them chances for redos, let us keep up with eating their creations, and allow for break weeks so it doesn’t start to feel too much like work.  We would do “judging” where we taste it, discuss how well it fits the description of what they were supposed to make, and video or take pictures, but we won’t compare between kids and pick winners.  I ordered this book to use for recipes: ‘The Great British Bake Off: Everyday: Over 100 Foolproof Bakes’.  (There are tons of books from that show, but this seemed like a good place to start for kids).  

Does anyone else want to play with us?  I thought it would be really fun to do it with other homeschoolers and have a thread where we could share and kids could see each other’s creations.

• Like 1

We recently watched the show on Hulu. I kept thinking, whoa, so much stress on little kids. 

My 7th grader loves baking and is learning cake decorating. Science next semester is the science of cooking. She is super excited. I am looking forward to it, too. But, our competition baking is limited to a family gingerbread house competition every yr before Christmas.