Menu

Finding the thread on a new spool?

Farrar

I'm semi-experienced with sewing... but every once in a blue moon I open a spool of thread and the little end isn't there. I have one now and I've been using tiny scissors and a needle trying to find an end that will come loose. Does anyone have a trick for this? At this point, unless there's a "trick" for it, I just need to throw this particular spool away.

Is it one of those where it is wrapped into the edge?  I'm not sure how to explain this, but newer spools now have a little catch on the top and bottom of the spool around the edge.  That way you can wrap the thread ends into that and not have loose threads.  Ugh. I dont' think I explained it right.  There have been a few times when it's wrapped so tightly you can't see where it went into the spool top.   I'll try to take a photo of what I'm talking about, if you want.

• Like 1

No trick that I know of.  Princess Mommy is right about the wrapped edge,  Guterman has that.  I take a pin and pull it out enough to grab.  With the basic spools  I generally get in good light with a strong needle and a pair of scissors and tease the outer thread nearest to both ends.  Frequently locate it this way and gently slip needle under, pull and snip if needed.  If I can’t find it I pick one and pull, snip, and try and save the majority.  

• Like 1

Yeah, it's one of those, where it's supposed to be wrapped - I can see the little nick where the thread should be. I pulled the stickers off the ends to fully check. But no thread. And it won't loosen at the edges with a needle trying to pull on it.

Crud. Oh well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

In that case I would not throw out the whole thing.  I'd do what Mum suggested... just cut and make a new beginning.  You'll lose some thread, but probably not much. 

That’s what I do. Just cut a new beginning. It usually sorts itself out when I’m winding the bobbin. 

• Like 1