Menu

Book on French Revolution for an 8 yo??

Ali in OR

My dd is fascinated with the French Revolution and has asked for a book about it for Christmas. She's a good reader. We will be studying the French Revolution later this year...I think what she knows so far has been from reading the Usborne Encyclopedia of World History. I'm just wondering if you have found any good kid books on this topic. With Biblioplan we will be reading In Search of Honor as a read-aloud when we get to the French Revolution. Is Tale of Two Cities too mature for an 8 yo? I've read it, but not recently. Are there non fiction books for kids that just explain what happened? Anything else we should consider? Thanks.

"A Tale of Two Cities" and "The Scarlet Pimpernel"--but I think that they are both too difficult for that age.

"Ben and Me" refers to it to some extent, and it is really, really funny. If you don't have that book, get it regardless--it's about Benjamin Franklin, as told by his advisor mouse, who takes up residence in his famous fur cap and basically figures out every smart thing he ever does.

There is a great biography of Lafayette that covers the French Revolution as well--it is called "Marquis de Lafayette, French Hero of the American Revolution by Gregory Payan. It is very well illustration and nicely written.

I also liked "People at the Center of the French Revolution" because it covered quite a variety of parallel lives, and interwove brief biographies with the background and events of the revolution.

Is she interested just in the revolution, or times in France leading up to the revolution?

If she's generally interested in royal life prior to the revolution, a few books she might enjoy are:

Cecile: Gates of Gold by Mary Casanova (set in the time of Louis XIV)

The Orange Trees of Versailles by Annie Pietri (")

Marie Antoinette (Royal Diaries series) by Kathryn Lasky

My dd enjoyed all of these books.