Menu

Order for AOPS books

kesmom

My 7th grader is currently using Introduction to Algebra. I see that they recommend the Counting + Probability book next, but I'm wondering if we can go straight to Intro to Geometry for 8th grade instead? She is probably going to PS for high school and I'm wondering what will serve her better in preparation for that.

As for what would better prepare her for high school, if she completes AOPS intros to Algebra and Geometry before 9th grade she will be accellerated compared to almost all her peers. Does the school she will attend have options for math past AP Calculus?

Is she interested in math competitions? Counting and Probability would be useful for those.

• Like 2

I would have gone for Counting & Probability precisely because it isn't taught in schools. Geometry will be taught, so I see no reason to be "accelerated." If she ends up wanting more challenge while taking geometry at school, she can always do extra problems from aops. C&P will give her knowledge that won't be replicated in school though and in my mind, that's more valuable than being accelerated. 

• Like 2