Menu

Tech school orientation yesterday

Night Elf

So I took ds to his orientation yesterday. We were the second ones there. He checked in and we sat down. As people started trickling in, my fear was realized. There were no parents. It was all adults. So I asked ds if he wanted me to stay or would he like me to wait in the car. He said he preferred to do it on his own. I was proud of him but the helicopter mom in me struggled while I sat in the car for 2 hours reading a book. I wanted to know more about the school and the programs. I wanted to know the buildings and see the classrooms. When ds came out, he said he had trouble finding me because he got lost. He couldn't get his student ID because their photo machine was broken so they told the students to come back next week. Well, we'll have to wait until the week after. I asked him if he'd like to walk around the buildings while we were there to get familiar with where his classrooms are and he said yes. School will be in session so I don't see how anyone will even pay attention to us. 

Also, his adviser left before ds had a chance to talk to him. That ticked me off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

That's the purpose of open house and campus visits. New student orientation is not the right event for this.

The orientation did a brief overview of its programs and did a walking tour of the campus, stopping in all the classrooms and meeting the teacher who teaches in that room. They told what they taught. That was what I was wanting. 

1 hour ago, Night Elf said:

The orientation did a brief overview of its programs and did a walking tour of the campus, stopping in all the classrooms and meeting the teacher who teaches in that room. They told what they taught. That was what I was wanting. 

Yes, but it is typically for the  student. Campus tours and such are usually offered during pre-enrollment visits . Did you not get a chance to visit as prospective families? Could be different as it is a tech program, not a typical 4 year college. 

Edited by Chris in VA
  • Like 1