Menu

Online degree completion program suggestions?

mamakelly

I've been planning to go back to school to complete my degree in education. I was all set to apply to Western Governors University and start in January. However it turns out that I can't just to do degree program, I have to do the student teaching portion as well. I just need the degree, our city has a student teaching program that I'm planning to apply to, when we are done homeschooling. Soooo any other suggestions for accredited online degree completion programs? I liked WGU, because it was self paced and I could go through it quicker than if I had to take only a certain number of classes per semester. 

19 minutes ago, mamakelly said:

I've been planning to go back to school to complete my degree in education. I was all set to apply to Western Governors University and start in January. However it turns out that I can't just to do degree program, I have to do the student teaching portion as well. I just need the degree, our city has a student teaching program that I'm planning to apply to, when we are done homeschooling. Soooo any other suggestions for accredited online degree completion programs? I liked WGU, because it was self paced and I could go through it quicker than if I had to take only a certain number of classes per semester. 

I think most states require student teaching to get licensed, so I doubt there is a better option than the local school.  You could probably do all the prereqs beforehand though, as long as you know the school's residency policy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

WGU has, but does not advertise, an educational studies degree.  It is the same classes but instead of DT you take two or three extra classes and it does not lead to certification. A lot of people in states with alternative certification get the degree in ed studies and then do their states alternative certification.

I did a year of the SPED degree and have just decided to go back but enroll in their M.A. in teaching instead as I already have a bachelor’s degree.  In the WGU FB groups a lot of people have switched to the educational studies degree and have done fine in getting certified.

OMG this would literally be the best news I've heard all week. The lady I spoke to on the phone didn't offer me anything but the degree + certification! Is that something I can ask an enrollment counselor about or do I start with the degree plus certification and then switch?