Menu

I need to choose between BJU math or CLE math...help?

Meadowlark

Or should I say, I own both of these so want to choose one or the other.

I can see pros to both. I love that my CLE using son can do 90% of it independently and then I just help him with the new section. I appreciate that it reviews and keeps the skills fresh. He seems to like the Lightunit approach and doesn't complain about doing it at all.

The main draw to BJU is that they offer distance learning. I really think this is a subject I'll need and want to outsource-if not now, eventually. I don't want to flip flop so just want to choose one or the other. I also like how BJU is colorful (most of our other curriculum is not) and how it seems a bit more conceptual or deeper than CLE.

If you've used both, which did you settle on and why? Specifically looking for pros and cons of each in the later elementary/middle school years. Thanks!

I may not be too helpful, but CLE has been great for my oldest.  It is just the right pace and teaches math very much like I learned in school, so that helps me as the teacher.  We started in the 400 level and now almost done with the 700 level.  I can foresee using it through Algebra 1 and even Algebra 2 (if the field testing rumor about that is true and it is up for sale in the next 3 years).  I will just have to use something different for Geometry, and I plan to outsource math past Algebra 2.

However, I recently switched my youngest from CLE early 400 level to BJU 4 distance learning.  She had used 205-403 with parts of it being great for her and parts of it being challenging.  I am still having to hire a tutor on top of the using the BJU videos (we thought the videos might avoid that, but the reason for the tutor is not due to BJU DL being insufficient or my ability to teach her the material being insufficient....the issue is her being in need of an outside resource for this most challenging subject  to help relieve stress in our " teacher/student/parent/child all wrapped up in one 24/7" relationship.).

CLE is more straightforward and get 'er done with the teaching and student work if you have a child that moves along well in math work.  BJU has more pictorial detail to the lessons, Hands on manipulative use, and the videos for DL is a great resource.  I don't like that there is so much flipping in different books or handout sheets for each day's lesson (front and back page in the main text, flip a few pages over to the end of the chapter for a short review section, locate the handout for the daily fact review, then flip to different pages to do a front and back page in the thick review book.0. I am thinking of taking the time to tear out the pages and putting each day' s work in a thin packet and handing it to dd each day instead of having her take time to flip through the 3 different books and then me having to flip,through 3 different books to do the grading.  I do think with the differences compared to CLE, BJU will prove to be a better fit for her In the long run though.  

Edited by TX Native

Don't change what's working. 

I like BJU math, but you should change from CLE when it's no longer working. Have you done standardized testing to know you're satisfied with his progress? The upper levels of the BJU math aren't necessarily great with the dvds anyway. People are doing it, but switching to something like MUS would be natural. 

If you want to try BJU for a different child who needs to begin some math, that could be good. It's definitely good stuff. Math is always the hardest to fit, and it's the one that is least likely to fit with the "I did the same thing straight for all my kids." There's usually one or two who just really need something different. So that's why I'd stick with what's working and begin with BJU for a different dc if you want to try it out.

Edited by PeterPan

For the record, I never used BJU.  But, I gather from various posts here that BJU has a lot of problems (maybe depending on grade level) and that it is common to not assign all of them.  Also, the resource cd thingy has additional worksheets and resources for kids who need extra practice?  If I had to make a lot of decisions on how much material to assign, I would second guess myself a lot.  I like that CLE is pretty complete within itself without extra options.  

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  after a couple more weeks of dealing with BJU DL, I choose CLE hands down.   BJU is likely fine for just going through the main text w/o following the daily schedule, the material looks solid and has great visuals, but the "fluff" in DL videos with  the book switching and flipping (being that the teacher only covers parts of the problems from the main text and review book and the student has to go back later to complete the problems for that day's assignment not covered in the video...then she has to sit with me while I go over the corrections on about 1/2 the problems the teacher in the video didn't cover) has gotten to be a time suck and energy suck for both of us.  

Edited by TX Native
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TX Native said:

Update:  after a couple more weeks of dealing with BJU DL, I choose CLE hands down.   BJU is likely fine for just going through the main text w/o following the daily schedule, the material looks solid and has great visuals, but the "fluff" in DL videos with  the book switching and flipping (being that the teacher only covers parts of the problems from the main text and review book and the student has to go back later to complete the problems for that day's assignment not covered in the video...then she has to sit with me while I go over the corrections on about 1/2 the problems the teacher in the video didn't cover) has gotten to be a time suck and energy suck for both of us.  

Oh, thank you so much for coming back to post this update! This is exactly the one thing I am worried about with BJU. I already own the teacher manuals and manipulatives. Just thinking about organizing all of those K-3 manipulates every.single.day makes me a bit batty. CLE is so streamlined and quick. I think part of my "teacher brain" just thinks I ought to be spending waaay more time "teaching" them. With CLE, I really don't have to do much. It's so clear, it teaches it TO them. My 2nd and 1st graders have started getting up and doing their math right away-then I just go over it with them. You all have convinced me-stick with what's working and move when/if it's not! Thanks.

• Like 2