Menu

Real Science Odyssey Biology 2

Would the Biology 2 text be good for an 11 year old to read on his own? I'm sure he would get something out of it but when I saw the price tag I rethought it. We might do labs that really really of interest but I'm doing all the school with all my kids that I plan on doing for now so it would only be once in awhile if he asked me when I could. 

He reads Zoobooks and books from the library as his own personal study but I thought he might be able to get some of the broader themes from an actual curriculum but honestly I don't want to bore him with a textbook nor at this point would I force him to read it but it sounded like this might be more interestingly written.

The chapters are relatively short, but certainly readable. There are two types of activities that this text calls labs. The first are what I'd call science-themed activities. Things like building models, making posters and other activities that help the student use and/or process the info they learned in new ways. The second are actual microscope labs. I mention those two types in case your student would be interested in the first type if not the second. The instructions are pretty clear and they are written with the intent that a student would/could follow them independently.

• Like 1

My son may want to do some of those activities on his own and I could probably find a table to leave up the microscope for him.  I also find my children reread stuff if they are allowed to enjoy it. Well, 2 of them at least. ?

Thanks to both of you. 

He probably would be fine reading the text. I will put out there that the labs are one of the main reasons to choose RSO Bio2.  They are conceptually strong but mostly simple and accessible.  Omitting them takes out a good portion of the learning. Not all, but a fair amount.

Edited by Targhee
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We haven’t done biology specifically but the point of RSO is that it’s very hands on lab oriented so more engaging.  While you could just read the text you would be wasting your money to some degree - you would be better with something that’s more text based.

if your kid does sci-fi quark chronicles and the accompanying recommended reading could be a good way of tackling it because it’s mostly literature based and wouldn’t require much input from you.

• Like 1