Menu

News: Toxic metal cadmium found in chain stores' jewelry for adults

Arcadia

From CBS News https://www.cbsnews.com/news/toxic-metal-cadmium-found-in-chain-stores-jewelry-for-adults/

“LOS ANGELES -- Jewelry with the toxic metal cadmium is showing up on the shelves of national retailers including Ross, Nordstrom Rack and Papaya, according to newly released test results.

Analysis done for the nonprofit Center for Environmental Health revealed some jewelry sold with women's dresses and shirts was nearly pure cadmium, which can cause cancer and reproductive harm after prolonged exposure.

No laws address cadmium in adult jewelry, however, and last year the center decided to check those products. Lab testing found 31 adult jewelry items purchased from retail stores were at least 40 percent cadmium, and most were more than 90 percent, according to results shared exclusively with the AP.

The Oakland-based nonprofit bought all the test samples in the San Francisco Bay Area this year or last. The extent to which contaminated jewelry is in stores elsewhere isn't clear, though a national retailer would not typically limit a product to just one region.

Brent Cleaveland, executive director of the Fashion Jewelry and Accessories Trade Association, said he does not believe the test results suggest a larger problem. Most major retailers have a stringent system for testing and analyzing what they sell, he said.

Most of the tainted items were sold at Ross, which operates more than 1,400 stores in 38 states. One pendant from a necklace chain was 100 percent cadmium, according to the testing.”

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Amy in NH said:

" Humans normally absorb cadmium into the body either by ingestion or inhalation Dermal exposure (uptake through the skin) is generally not regarded to be of significance (Lauwerys 1988). "

I understand that. My aunt’s (granduncle’s daughter) children were biting things until they were passed four years old everywhere they went. The children might have pica deficiency but I really don’t know.

48 minutes ago, Katy said:

Is there an over the counter swab test for cadmium the way there is for lead?

There is but a 1998 report says it might not be reliable. I didn’t find any testing report newer than this one https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9770321/?

“When the cadmium kit was used according to manufacturer's instructions, 29% of dishes leaching greater than 0.5 microgram Cd/ml yielded false negatives. Home lead test kits appear to be useful for screening of old dinnerware, but the cadmium kit may not be suitable for this purpose.” 

• Like 1

Some babies and toddlers mouth everything.  My baby always tried to put my Mil necklaces in his mouth.  There is really no reason for cadmium or lead to be in any jewelry even if it is not meant for children.  

OP: Thanks for the warning.  

Anyone who has further interest in cadmium and lead in jewelry or other household objects should look up Tamara Rubin, lead safe mama.  She tests various things for lead and cadmium and other heavy metals and blogs about it.  She also has several lead poisoned children.