Menu

Has anyone seen a microbiology curriculum?

https://www.biozone.co.nz/category/your-topic/biotechnology-microbiology/

Biozone has a worktext for microbiology as well as other biology topics. We have used a few of them, but not this one in particular.  They are black and white, because they want to keep prices down and want to be able to update close to every year. They have a complete preview so you can see if you like it.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

1 hour ago, lewelma said:

https://www.biozone.co.nz/category/your-topic/biotechnology-microbiology/

Biozone has a worktext for microbiology as well as other biology topics. We have used a few of them, but not this one in particular.  They are black and white, because they want to keep prices down and want to be able to update close to every year. They have a complete preview so you can see if you like it.

Ruth in NZ

Thank you!

As a microbiologist, I would recommend finding an introductory microbiology text (it will be a college textbook) meant for a semester-long survey course and planning to use it for the whole year. Labs are a bit more complicated unless your instructor has access to the materials needed. I can make suggestions for alternatives here and there, but there are reasons why you rarely see microbiology taught at the high school level.

As far as specific titles are concerned, can't help you - I've used several that would be appropriate, but not recently. Most of what I have on the shelf is either too involved or too old and you'd likely to be able to find it anymore.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:47 PM, aprilleigh said:

As a microbiologist, I would recommend finding an introductory microbiology text (it will be a college textbook) meant for a semester-long survey course and planning to use it for the whole year. Labs are a bit more complicated unless your instructor has access to the materials needed. I can make suggestions for alternatives here and there, but there are reasons why you rarely see microbiology taught at the high school level.

As far as specific titles are concerned, can't help you - I've used several that would be appropriate, but not recently. Most of what I have on the shelf is either too involved or too old and you'd likely to be able to find it anymore.

I teach micro to undergraduates and I was going to suggest the same thing - a lower level undergrad text. 

One Micro textbook that I feel is accessible to high schoolers is "Microbiology:  A Human Perspective", by Nester; use for a year instead of a semester long course.  It covers basic general biology in the first 7 chapters.  As long as you have access to a microscope and a willingness to purchase some prepared slides and staining materials, there are lots of labs that are accessible in this lab manual:  "Basic Mirobiological Techniques" (Kelley).

Edited by Reefgazer

22 hours ago, Reefgazer said:

I teach micro to undergraduates and I was going to suggest the same thing - a lower level undergrad text. 

One Micro textbook that I feel is accessible to high schoolers is "Microbiology:  A Human Perspective", by Nester; use for a year instead of a semester long course.  It covers basic general biology in the first 7 chapters.  As long as you have access to a microscope and a willingness to purchase some prepared slides and staining materials, there are lots of labs that are accessible in this lab manual:  "Basic Mirobiological Techniques" (Kelley).

I'll have to find a copy of Nester - the name is familiar, but it's not on my shelf, so I either never had a personal copy or it was so old I tossed it.