Menu

Global issues ideas needed

I'm a little behind on my planning for this year.  ?  Dd is going to do an elective on global issues.  I will admit that I am terrible at pulling together courses on my own.  We are planning on watching a lot of documentaries and Youtube videos, reading news articles, watching world news, and discussing. 

Has anyone done a course of global issues?  If so, did you have a particular book that you used, format, or other great ideas that you would be willing to share?

ETA:  We are starting with climate control.  We have already watched Before the Flood and Chasing Ice.  Any recommendations for additional documentaries or resources on climate control appreciated.  Thanks.

Edited by Nemom

One of my dc studied current events in high school.  I generally let dc choose what to study, as I found dc read more widely and watched more related videos when I didn't give specific assignments or topics.  (YMMV, of course.)  Dc followed the news daily, both online and in print resources, then discussed with me weekly.  Every week dc wrote a short essay (1-2 typed pages) about one of the topics studied.  At the end of the semester, I gave dc a list of topics covered to review and then an essay final, which asked for a summary of each topic/event studied, including major world conflicts, terrorist organizations, human rights violations, governmental spying, the Ebola epidemic, environmental issues, US immigration policy, gang violence, racism, poverty, and the world financial crisis.