Menu

Reading list to go with Elizabeth Vandiver's Classical Mythology (Great Courses)

I'm doing a year of world mythology with my 12 and 15 year olds, and we're planning to listen to Elizabeth Vandiver's Classical Mythology course to go along with that....does anyone have a reading list that they could share that would work well with this? The course is on Hoopla through our library, so I don't have access to the guidebook. I can call them about buying it separately if someone tells me it's worth it, but I really just want to know what versions of the texts would work best with the lectures. 

3 hours ago, kokotg said:

I'm doing a year of world mythology with my 12 and 15 year olds, and we're planning to listen to Elizabeth Vandiver's Classical Mythology course to go along with that....does anyone have a reading list that they could share that would work well with this? The course is on Hoopla through our library, so I don't have access to the guidebook. I can call them about buying it separately if someone tells me it's worth it, but I really just want to know what versions of the texts would work best with the lectures. 

Preview this particular course for a 12 year old. Mythology has lots of adult content. It might be fine for your family, but worth pre-listening to make sure.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

Preview this particular course for a 12 year old. Mythology has lots of adult content. It might be fine for your family, but worth pre-listening to make sure.

I agree. Actually, I'm not sure if I'd have my 15 yr old listen to all of the lectures, although my 16 yr old probably would have been fine at 15. Dr. Vandiver doesn't beat around the bush with the $exual activities of the gods. But, each family is different & we live in a house with no cable service & monitored internet.

Separately, I'm not sure which translation (of the readings) mattered for her lectures.

• Like 1

Hmm....now I'm trying to decide where I fall on the spectrum of conservativeness about this. He's reading The Odyssey (and listening to the lectures) right now, so I guess I'm okay with talk about.....relationships with goddesses and whatnot. But I hadn't really considered mixing violence in with that kind of thing, so probably previewing/selectivity is indeed called for.

I recall only one lecture that I  thought might be problematic. I think it was lecture 21 Monstrous Females. It discusses sexuality more extensively. You could easily skip it.

FWIW, I used the course with both my kids in 9th grade, i.e. age 13 and 14, respectively.  We listened together. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kokotg said:

Hmm....now I'm trying to decide where I fall on the spectrum of conservativeness about this. He's reading The Odyssey (and listening to the lectures) right now, so I guess I'm okay with talk about.....relationships with goddesses and whatnot. But I hadn't really considered mixing violence in with that kind of thing, so probably previewing/selectivity is indeed called for.

I haven't noticed it so much in Vandiver's other courses. We were listening to the Mythology one on vacation, so I don't recall where we switched to something else, but I do think it was the Monstrous Females that Regentrude mentions.

• Like 1