Menu

Online high school Live classes based on WEST Coast

My dd needs classes that meet 2pm or later, west coast time...

so after scouring the internet looking for online class options, I didn't really find anything because all the ones I am familiar with originate on the east cost and therefore, finding a class for her time was impossible.  

So I am just wondering if there happens to be an online LIVE class provider, preferably a one stop shop with everything, that I can check out, that happens to be based on the west coast? 

Kolbe should be on PT as they are based in California.  AOPS is late but only chat based.  We are also in Hawaii and were in Japan before that, I feel your pain.  My kids usually watch the lecture later in the day and base their forum work on the lecture.  We have done Lukeion, WTMA and WH that way.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rdj2027 said:

Kolbe should be on PT as they are based in California.  AOPS is late but only chat based.  We are also in Hawaii and were in Japan before that, I feel your pain.  My kids usually watch the lecture later in the day and base their forum work on the lecture.  We have done Lukeion, WTMA and WH that way.  

Kolbe does list their classes in Pacific Time Zone. Their classes start as early as 7:30 PT.

CLRC also lists their classes in PTZ. Most start as early as 8 PT, but one or two start earlier. Japanese is taught at 4 or 6 a.m. PT. :ohmy:

Not sure it is what you are looking for, but Athena's Academy also lists their classes in PTZ. They start as early as 7 a.m. PT. (They do have an AP English option this year.)

I'd definitely look for a provider who is open to both live attendance (should your DD be able to attend live) or watching the recording. My DD#1 thrives on the live classroom interaction, but sometimes has overlaps. Last year, she missed part of Shakespeare almost every week. This year, it'll be one live session of Calculus each week because German is at the same time. (Live participation in German, IMO, is more important than live participation in math.) Class is a lot more boring via recording. Some providers don't allow you to miss most live classes - so check ahead of time.

• Like 3

We've used some different on-line programs for high school with mixed results. There are  advantages to online instruction, as you can work from the comfort of your own home and choose exactly which classes you are looking for. However, there were so many drawbacks that we shifted in other directions. On-line instruction typically does not have the oversight traditional brick-and-mortar schools have. Landry Academy, for example, shut down abruptly in the middle of the school year, apparently due to on-going financial problems. Another, Wilson Hill Academy, raised classroom prices to $700-$800 per class in addition to a new "student service fee" of $250 per year. The Potter's School, likewise, had very little accountability. One high school class actually had two teachers, one who taught and the other who graded.  However, this was only disclosed at the end of the year. It was so confusing for my child. TPS also attracts students from around the globe in isolated locations who have very limited access to the internet. These students had such a need to connect with friends their own age, that they used classroom time to chat about life in general. And the teacher never stopped them. Classes also routinly dismissed early. The best company on-line company we ever used was Pennsylvania Homeschoolers. This is a secular company, which may not be what many here are looking for, and it is all AP. However, the instructors were excellent. Kids with PA score far above the national average on AP test too. For the most part, though, on-education had too many problems for us to make that the main resourse of our kids' education. 

• Like 2