Menu

Which Warriner's book to use?

I have a 7th grader this year, and I am looking at Warriner's grammar for his grammar homework.  I was thinking of getting the complete course and taking two years (7th and 8th grade) to go through it slowly with his other writing work, etc..  I know there is also Course 1 and beyond.  He's pretty bright in language arts, and grammar is grammar.  Is the Complete Course really only suitable for grade 12?  I don't want to do just Course 1 and 2 and miss covering concepts.

Is there a specific version that is better than others?

P.S. I searched through the forums first and had a hard time seeing this question answered.

I can only advise concerning the older versions (60's and 70's versions) of Warriner's, since that is what I have. Mine look like this one or like this one.  I have the First Course, Second Course, Third Course, Fourth Course, and Complete Course.  Call me a grammar nerd. ?

The courses do progress in difficulty--not just in the complexity of the grammar covered, but the length and difficulty of the sentences in the exercises.  I wouldn't just throw a 7th grader into the Complete Course, it might be too much.  Honestly, if you covered Course 1 and Course 2, and did them with understanding, you would cover most all of what gets covered in high school grammar. You would get all the eight parts of speech, phrases and clauses, complex and compound sentences, diagramming of all the parts of speech and compound and complex sentences, usage, mechanics, some spelling, AND composition.  Good stuff.

• Like 1

I have the complete course (the 12th grade book) and its teacher guide,  and they will go to the grave with me, I love them so. LOL With good teacher instruction and a student strong in English, I think your plan would work well.

https://www.amazon.com/English-Composition-Grammar-Complete-Benchmark/dp/0153117362/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=oh_aui_i_sh_in_o1_img

https://www.amazon.com/English-Composition-Grammar-Complete-Teachers/dp/0153117435/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=oh_aui_i_sh_in_o0_img

• Like 1

Hmm...I think Complete Course would be too much unless your kids are well-versed in grammar already. But maybe doing it slowly would be fine.

For reference, I had a methods class in college on teaching grammar, and we used Warriner's Complete Course as our worktext (but with lots of teaching tips, "here's where kids get messed up" tips, etc.). We were taught in such a way that we should've been able to produce an entire age-appropriate grammar program ourselves using Warriner's as a reference (it was 7th-12th teacher certification at the time). but we were not expected to take our students through Warriner's Complete Course. We didn't actually produce a curriculum, but we did present mini lessons and our tests were geared toward explaining concepts in depth. A lot of teachers-to-be struggled with the rigor of the course, and halfway through, the teacher split the class into two proficiency groups.

• Like 1