Menu

Repainting painted kitchen cabinets

PrairieSong

We need to repaint kitchen cabinets that were painted about ten years ago. It's a rental house. I've never painted cabinets (handyman did it before) and want advice on the best kind/brand of paint to use that will look good and be durable. Should we sand  first? Latex or oil based? The cabinets are painted white but just look worn. We will stick with white or off white so color coverage shouldn't be an issue. TIA!

I have done this before.  I scrubbed them thoroughly with TSP, rinsed them, let them dry overnight, and then painted with glossy or semigloss (I forget which but I think glossy) cream colored paint.  One coat did the job.  If there had been chipped areas I would have sanded and primed those first before cleaning. 

This was some years ago, and I understand that they took TSP off the market.  So now I would go to the Sherman Williams store and ask what is comparable that is still on the market.

• Like 1

If you're not sure if they are oil or latex and you want to use latex (less fumes, much easier to clean your brushes), you'll need to first scrub all the grease off of them (TSP alternative, really good gloves), then use a primer, then a paint, then whatever sealant they recommend. I highly recommend going with Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams.

• Like 1