Menu

Pre algebra and beyond

BlessedMomto3

I’ve read a million posts on this but I’m still confused!  

I have a child who has come up through Singapore standards through 6B (will finish end of 5th grade year so is ‘ahead’).  Has always progressed in math slowly but steadily - the kind of kid who I feel like we struggle through chapters but it always ‘clicks’ later.  I wouldn’t say has a natural number sense,  and I’ve questioned if Singapore is the best fit for, but it’s what we have and what gets done.  

Ive used AOPS for older siblings for pre-algebra and beyond, but I’m not sure this is a good fit here.  Siblings have completed Singapore textbook and workbook and also intensive practice and challenging word problems, and this child has only done textbook and workbook each year and that has been enough.  

What would you do for this child?  What would you use?  I feel like something with more repition and solid explanations (not discovery based) will serve child better, but I also want something strong.  

If Singapore was pretty successful despite needing more time to learn the concepts, I would look at Math Mammoth.  The strategies are similar but it is more thorough and gives more practice.  You could do MM 6th and then 7th and then Algebra 1 in 8th grade. Or you could focus on single topic downloads to review whatever is needed, then do a standard pre-algebra in 7th and algebra 1 in 8th.  

• Like 1

Last year we took the plunge get and did AOPS prealgebea. My 7th grader is not a math kid and I was pretty nervous about it. He took it online through WTMA because I wanted to ensure it was completed within the school year, for accountability, and to have a teacher for additional help if needed. 

It was hard and he needed a lot of help but it was a good decision. I was also concerned about review problems but the instructor encouraged him to stick it out.  As you go through the class there is plenty of review since each new chapter builds on the previous ones. I feel like my ds learned a lot more than he would have if he had used something else but it was a lot of work for both of us. 

If you're looking for a solid review of arithmetic coupled with an introduction to algebra, Derek Owens is fabulous.  If you're looking to go straight in to algebra, Jacobs is excellent.  Both of them do a good job showing how the arithmetic relates to the algebra.

• Like 1