Menu

Latin woes or attitude problem?

We have done LFC-A and LFC-B and I was moving my oldest (going on 13) into Latin Alive 1. We are on week 1 and he has declared that he hates the teacher on the video because (to him) she has a monotone voice. IF he did not complain about every other subject then I would give this weight, but at the moment I am tempted to tell him "you get what you get . . ."  

We do, however, have options, should I decide to concede.  We have LFC-C which my youngest is doing, however I don't think I could award high school credit for that (?).

I have Wheelock's 6th and the lectures for Wheelock's available on Udemy. I have not watched them (they were really for me) and I have no idea if the instructor would be a better fit and less monotone.  (I personally don't think Karen Moore from Latin Alive is monotone).

My current mode is just to make him finish at least week one of Latin Alive, possibly also week two, before any thoughts of switching UNLESS we are doing LFC-C in which case I want to catch him up to DS11.  

Presently I am exhausted for multiple reasons and I really could just use some BTDT advice on this. Do I just force him to continue since the complaining is ubiquitous right now? Are either of these other options feasible?  Thanks in advance. 

Edited by cintinative

You can give him half of a credit, as per the publishers. They say to use Latin Alive for a full credit. Or, if he did LFC B in 8th, you could legit award a credit when he finishes C, but that would then put him starting with Latin Alive 2 as opposed to Latin Alive 1 (or a different program, of course). That would actually have him on track just as much as doing LA1. You can always add in some verb drills or other supplements to beef it up and prep him for Latin 2. 

• Like 1

It looks like, at least initially, the LA program follows Wheelocks, so since the videos seem to be the part he dislikes, I *might* be able here and there to substitute a Udemy video as long as I cover some of the LA specific stuff she discusses like the state/national seal and the vocabulary.   

Unless there is some rush to complete Latin before a particular time frame, then I’d stop Latin Alive! Book 1 and just have him join your youngest in doing LfC C this year. I would not award high school credit for it, but it’s going to be much easier for them (and you) to do it together and probably have better retention. Latin Alive! is faster paced than LfC, and if he’s already not liking it right now, then learning and retention will suffer. If, after this year, you still want to continue with Latin studies for high school credit, then you could begin Latin Alive! Book 1 next year, Book 2 the following year, so on and so forth, as most colleges require 2-3 years of foreign language, preferably of the same language each year. Otherwise, perhaps switching to a modern language to earn credit may be desirable.

We’ve completed LfC A, B, and C, as well as Latin Alive! Books 1 and 2. Sure we could have skipped LfC C and moved into LA! Book 1, but I’m glad we didn’t. This allowed him further time for practice and retention. There was no rush. My young man will do Book 3 this upcoming year for 9th grade (age 14). I’ll have him do CAP’s Latin Reader next year, in 10th grade, so that will give him four high school credits for Latin. This still leaves two more years for a modern language, should he choose to pick one or need it for college—some colleges accept classical languages and some do not. Just food for thought.

As for the LA video lessons, they were helpful in the beginning, but by the time we reached one-third of the way through Book 2, we stopped watching them and just used the text. They were more of an annoying time sucker at that point. LOL!

As for the complaining at this age, especially concerning Latin, also BTDWT (Been There Dealt With That) and it will get better. My young man is coming out of the “brain fog”, and through both diligence and perseverance his Latin studies have only improved and excelled, although he may argue that it was through perseverance first and then diligence. LOL! He is quite the joker.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NCAmusings said:

As for the complaining at this age, especially concerning Latin, also BTDWT (Been There Dealt With That) and it will get better. My young man is coming out of the “brain fog”, and through both diligence and perseverance his Latin studies have only improved and excelled, although he may argue that it was through perseverance first and then diligence. LOL! He is quite the joker.

Thank you. Your whole post was encouraging, but I am grateful to hear this part especially.