Menu

Making a schedule/curriculm

I'm new to this concept of Afterschooling, and in a way this is really a trial year for me.  Our daughter won't be old enough to attend preschool this fall (doesn't make the 4 year old cut-off date), but I want to start preschooling her at home.  Both of us work full-time jobs, so my opportunities for teaching her are after I pick her up at 5:30pm and on weekends.  That'll change a little bit next fall since preschool gets out at 2:30pm, but I still have to work from home till 5:00pm.

I have my overwhelming list of things that I'd like to supplement teaching to her that isn't taught in schools or isn't covered thoroughly, but most of those things aren't preschool topics (you can't learn cursive in preschool).

I'm a little overwhelmed by all the resources and curriculums out there. We're not exactly doing full-blown homeschooling and I need to keep my expectations modest of what she can tolerate after she gets home from daycare.  I guess I'm looking for advice from other parents in similar situations.

How much time do you invest in afterschooling each day and how much time on weekends?

Do you balance literacy and math during the week or focus on only one of those each week?

I'm a planner and a detail oriented person, so I'm not very good at winging it based on what sounds good by the week.  I hope some of you can relate :)

Honestly? The best thing you can do for her at this age is to just nurture creativity and pretend play, read as many books as she'll sit for, take her outdoors to explore (even in winter!) do puzzles, and provide materials for coloring/painting and other crafts. Take outings to zoos, playgrounds, any museums for young kids. Have fun and enjoy each other!! (I wish I could go back, it is such a fun age!)

There's plenty of time for literacy and math skills as she gets older, but now, after a day of preschool, I think it would be detrimental to worry about literacy or math. There really is no benefit to starting early...(It's been proven that kids who learn to read early actually are further behind, and much less likely to read for pleasure, a few years down the line.)

• Like 4

I would expose her to a variety of things and see what seems to work best for her, and what she's ready for.

Check out what programs your local libraries, museums, conservation organizations, and animal parks have to offer.  I wish I'd known then what I know now - there are so many great hands-on resources for the younger set, many of them free and available outside of business hours.  This can provide a great opportunity to try different things and see what sticks, and you can build on that.

Your library probably has many age-appropriate learning videos that you can check out also.  They may also offer free access to age-appropriate online learning games - I think abc mouse might be an example?  Again, you can check these out and see if they are right for your child without much up-front investment.

In my opinion, the most important thing to do is to read aloud to your daughter and talk about everything that's happening around her.  Go for walks and talk about the wildlife you see, the spellings of the road signs, and so on.  If she takes an interest in birds or letters or anything else, find a book / free museum program / whatever and extend it.

Thank you, SKL!  I didn't even think about ABCMouse being available through the library.

We do read most evenings.  I have a "bucket list" of books to check out from the library.

I don't know about other libraries, but I do find it challenging to find age-appropriate offerings after work hours.  I wanted to go take her to see Elephant & Piggie once (book characters), but it was only offered at 10am on a Monday. ?

Sounds like I should just schedule outings at various places/activities.  So far her only interests are eating snacks, making smoothies, and the Justice League LOL.  And being a TV/tablet zombie when given the opportunity. ?‍♀️

On the website of our Natural History Museum, there is information on field activities for all ages.  There is also a great discovery room at the museum that is designed for young kids.  Also some of their temporary and permanent exhibits are very child-friendly.  And they have planetarium programs geared to little kids.  These are all "free" / included in museum membership.  The field activities, which are often on weekends, do not require membership / admission $.  One thing I recall from when my kids were little was that they got to hold a chrysalis while a butterfly emerged from it.  Another year they got free international cooking lessons, and another time they were able to build some things using wood and tools.  Just a few examples.

On the website of our national park conservancy, there are many hands-on scientific learning opportunities for young kids at the parks.  All free, many on weekends.

Our local art museum has a children's room full of innovative building toys, play-acting materials, books, computer apps, etc - free (art museum admission is also free).  The website also has age-appropriate classes & events, some of which are free and which occur on weekends.  These offerings often include musical and international culture elements as well as art.

Our library system has many programs on weekends for all age groups.  Some are regularly scheduled classes, others are one-off events.  All free.  Again, the library website has all this information.

The local zoo also has programs that we have used in the past.  Of course just walking around the zoo is an educational experience.  While not free for us on weekends, it was worth having a zoo membership when my kids were little.  We would go there many Saturdays when they were 4/5yo.  Later I discovered overnight experiences with behind-the-scenes activities.  Not sure if this would be age-appropriate for a preschooler, but something to think about for the future.

These are just some examples of things I have discovered by checking the various local institutions' websites.

Since you are a planner, there is usually a calendar of events several months out for each of these.  Happy planning!

• 2 months later...

Hey, I don't think the OP has been back, but I just want to speak up in support of planning as much as you need to so you don't feel like you're trying to wing it when there's so much going on. Once you've looked at the resources in your community, feel free to make a plan. Other folks are right that a preschooler may be pretty tired after school, but you can still plan to do whatever seems to be a comfortable level of activity for her and the family.

You might try to do themed weeks. For example, if there's a farm-related event you go to on the weekend, get out your related toys and books that day, sing Old MacDonald in the car, and make time available as you're able through the week to keep making connections. Or if there's a doctor or dentist appointment for her on the calendar, you can make that your theme and extend it, checking out related library books, playing with a stethoscope, etc. That way, what you're doing is not extra work piled on top of all the life stuff, but you make everyday life more educational. This can be planned in advance so you don't feel like you're scrambling for something to do. (I'm a planner myself, so I get it. I need a plan so I can see where I'm going.)

Edited by Carolina Wren

On 8/3/2018 at 6:39 AM, Justshine247 said:

Thank you, SKL!  I didn't even think about ABCMouse being available through the library.

We do read most evenings.  I have a "bucket list" of books to check out from the library.

I don't know about other libraries, but I do find it challenging to find age-appropriate offerings after work hours.  I wanted to go take her to see Elephant & Piggie once (book characters), but it was only offered at 10am on a Monday. ?

Sounds like I should just schedule outings at various places/activities.  So far her only interests are eating snacks, making smoothies, and the Justice League LOL.  And being a TV/tablet zombie when given the opportunity. ?‍♀️

There is very little available after work hours (nothing here but if you are in a city in the US maybe more).   There are occasionally weekend swimming and pre ballet which 4 year olds often enjoy.  I would do my best to ensure she is in a play based daycare then preschool and read and talk as much as you can.  The thing I miss now my kids are older is that a walk round the block or to the park is enough.  When you read you can follow her lead about developing pre_reading skills - my oldest was more interested in the page numbers at one stage and has always liked maths and a lot of non fiction whereas my youngest was always more word oriented.  Oddly neither were that interested in discussing the pictures after 3 or so.