Menu

So when are you starting Kindergarten this year?

Mommyof1

We will be starting end of July because we have a baby expected right before Thanksgiving and are hoping to have a big break in December. My Ker is my fifth (and current youngest), and I am pretty laid back with K. K also isn’t required in my state. I have a 2nd and a 4th grader, so those three boys will be together for a lot of subjects. The Ker will participate as much or as little as he wants, and I will try to make a little time for phonics and maybe math with him if he is interested, plus picture books and readalouds. He will get playtime with his friends and a couple of preK/K classes at our gentle co-op too, which takes some pressure off of me to do projects. Good luck to you!!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ExcitedMama said:

We just keep moving forward. At this age it’s too easy to lose progress if we don’t keep it going. 

This.  We just keep on keepin' on.  My third son will be turning 5 in a couple weeks.  He has been working through resources with a "K" on the cover for about a year (and is now mostly using 1st and 2nd grade materials), but I only officially started calling him a kindergartner two weeks ago when we started back up after taking a week off to visit my parents' cottage.  That was a convenient time to promote everyone, but their grade levels don't really make a lick of difference in terms of day to day schooling.  If DS was working on math lesson 27 on his last day of Pre-K, then on his first day of kindergarten he worked on lesson 28.  I did spend that first day randomly quizzing all the kids on their new grade numbers just because I know that they are going to be asked that question by strangers about a million times in the next couple months.  ?

Wendy

• Like 1

We have ds tell people he is starting kindergarten this year but we school year round and he is all over the map academically (he's almost halfway through a 1st grade math curriculum, he's working at an early first grade reading level, his handwriting is coming right along at an average kindergarten level, but his attention span is still that of an average 5 year old boy) So technically we started K when he turned 5 back in January but we only really use the grade designation as a way to easily fill in registration forms and answer questions from old ladies and cashiers in the supermarket.