Menu

U.S. History Detective ?

I lead a co-op with students who just want a get-it-done U.S. History 2 course. I structure my classes such that I have a spine that is on the easier side and I supplement with oodles of movies and literature. I have used the BJU text but am not overly impressed with the saturation of Christian content/focus, I also have Paul Johnson's book but will only assign that to my Honors students. So now I am eyeing U.S. History Detective for its brevity and Written Response Questions. The students I have usually need a good nudge as far as going beyond the most basic work; having them write and actually have to think beyond the basics is a very good thing.

I was also looking at Teaching U.S. History Thematically: Document-Based Lessons (Rosemary Metro). I like the idea of using historical documents in the way she advises however I'm not sold on her presentation ideas.

Thoughts?

I've only had one kid use US History Detective (Book 2). I liked it for what it was - and it sounds like it would serve your purposes of a get er done with options for a bit more. I used it as a written-work output for year 2 of our US History.

• Like 1

We used the first one when dd was in 8th grade (the second one wasn't out yet).  Dd hates history but she really liked this curriculum - she liked it so much that she kept the book when she was done with it (we usually sell everything).  If it were a high school course I would have supplemented with more material/writing.