Menu

Using All About Spelling after Ordinary Parent's Guide-Which level?

AMK

I am considering starting AAS with my 2nd grader when she finishes The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading. We haven't used a separate spelling curriculum up to this point. What I'm struggling with is which AAS level to start on. She is a pretty strong reader and speller. I think Level 1 seems much too easy for her, but if I jump straight to Level 2 will she be completely lost?

We start AAS level 1 somewhere in the middle of OPG. I like that it isn't a lot of writing. We do a part of a "step" most days. It is both a review, because it starts with the simplest words, and a gradual ramp up. 

I started with Level 1 even with my then 4th grader just because it was a different approach to spelling than she has ever had before. She went through about a step a day for the first 3 levels until she got up to grade level and then she slowed down. But it was really helpful to start at the beginning and to make sure all the basic rules were covered and for her to know *why* we spell those "easy" words the way we do.