Menu

Need reviews on My Father's World

I'm looking into this for us to possibly use in a couple of months, (if we can save enough money). Anyway, I really like the look of it, I need something that tells me what to do and when. I don't have the time nor the discipline to to make my own schedules. I love the idea of charlotte mason, and using living books but I don't have the time to study up on it. I've looked at ambleside online and a lot of the books listed do not interest my kids in the least. TOG is way too expensive for us, so that leaves me with MFW. It looks like a great curriculum. All laid out, not much planning. I'm not sure if we would start in Adventures in my Father's World or exploring countries and cultures. My oldest are in second and third grade. What do you think of the books that come with it? Have they fit well with your homeschool? I was also wondering about the science, is it any good?

Tell me the good the bad and the ugly please. If we are going to spend the money on this it has to work for us. We don't have money to just be tossing around at different curriculum. I really need something where we can just pretty much open and go. I don't have much time with two little ones underfoot. TIA!

We are new to MFW and using ECC. We love it. There are other users here but you can get even more info here. I'm a fan of the open and go method also and I love CM. I love how we transition from each subject during the day. The lessons are short and my dc are learning. The science is lighter in the lower years and increases in depth in the later years according to my understanding from MFW veterans but I think it's just enough unless you have science lovers. My youngest devours science so I had simply added more experiments into our environmental science in ECC. He loves it. Take full advantage of the book baskets. They are there to give you opportunities for further study into the topics. HTH:)

Here are some reviews for MFW from both veterans and folks who've only used it a year or two:

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/curriculum/reviews.aspx?id=161

I will say that in my *observation*, it seems like the folks who love the K and 1st programs don't care quite as much for the older cycles, and vice versa. That's probably because the TMs are set up differently in those years, and also because K and 1st are primarily Bible- and phonics- focused.... not so much "history" or "social studies" as we know it. The Bible and science studies at that level ARE "social studies".... from a biblical perspective. MFW attempts to lay a biblical foundation in those early years before adding in lots of "extras".

But you're looking for Adventures or above. Adventures is a fun one-year overview of America and its key people, events, and patriotic songs and symbols. It does an overview of the 50 states. It studies the names and characteristics of Jesus, and the science consists of simple hands-on experiments that go along with the themes in the Bible study. (For example, Jesus is the "Bread of Life" so you do bread and yeast experiments, have a discussion on Communion, etc.) You'll use a few Usborne books for these, and there are many instructions inside the TM, as well. The book basket list in the back of the TM includes something like 400+ titles of varying genres and reading levels to choose from.... like a large buffet.

If your oldest is in 3rd grade, you could start with Adventures, then it would be:

ECC -- 4th

CTG -- 5th

RTR -- 6th

Expl-1850 -- 7th

1850-Modern -- 8th

Perfect! ;) Then you'd just start over the cycle with ECC when the oldest hits 9th grade. At that point, your older kids would do ECC at a deeper level than when y'all did it the first time around, with higher level reading, country reports, and their own level of science (if junior high). And always, each of your children will always do math and LA at their own level.

We've been using MFW for about 3-1/2 years, btw. Let us know if you have anymore questions, and be sure to check out the MFW forums. You can also call the office and explain your concerns to them. They're glad to help out. (And no, I don't work for them! :) )

Yes, it really is. At the front of the TM are teacher notes from the author, Marie Hazell, as well as a complete supply list of non-consumables for the whole year. This would be things like markers, poster board, etc. So you can be well-prepared before the year starts.

Then at the beginning of each week is a short list of consumables you'll need for that week. This would include copies needed from the Appendix pages, items for science experiments, etc. I just take a look at it the Friday or Saturday before to make sure I have these on hand. Then on Monday morning, we can literally just open and go for the whole week. :001_smile:

I typically make copies from the Appendix about 4-5 weeks at a time. This saves me trips. Some people make ALL their copies for the whole year up front, but our local UPS store is in a great location from our house. They give homeschoolers a discount, so I do them for 4 cents a page. The TM will tell you how many copies of what you need to make. Sometimes you'll need to copy something on special paper. For example, when we did the New Testament books game, I had those pages copied on cardstock and only needed one copy total. But for most pages, I'll need one copy *per child*. Again, I usually do several weeks at a time so that they're handy and ready to go.

The book basket list inside the TM will contain something like 300-400 or more titles.... ALL of which have been pre-read by the author and/or her staff. They spend oodles of time and carloads of books and videos searching for the titles to include in their TMs. The titles are listed by week # and/or topic being studied, and there are recommendations for a variety of genres and age levels. I'll give you an example from Rome to Reformation which is right here nearby.

Week 1 has 7 different titles listed for both history and science, and they're broken down like this:

Roman Numerals

Romans Numerals I to MM (picture book for young children)

Roman Numerals (for younger students)

Romulus and Remus--Founding of Rome

Famous Men of Rome (Greenleaf)

Early Roman Conquest--Historical Fiction

*A Triumph for Flavius

Hannibal and the Punic Wars--Historical Fiction

The Young Carthaginian (Henty)

Human Body: Cells

*Fearfully and Wonderfully Made (recommended for parents and grade 7+ to discuss w/parents)

*Your Body and How It Works (assign appropriate chapter to older students, or read aloud with younger)

Titles that are asterisked are especially recommended by the author to purchase if you can.... either because they have a uniqueness about them that make them "keepers", or because they're referred to often throughout.

Flipping through the weeks.... Week 3 has 17 titles listed; Week 9 has 4; Week 14 has 10; Week 23 has 13.... and so on.

At the very end is a Recommended List for General Reading. This includes all-time classics such as Frog and Toad and Little Bear (easy readers), Cordoroy and Caps for Sale (picture books), The Boxcar Children (2nd grade and up), and other classics for each grade level up through 6th.

I've added titles to the booklist in my own pen that we've stumbled across which fit well and we got a lot out of. (I don't plan on selling any of my MFW manuals, so I mark them up quite a bit.) If for some reason you can't find a particular title at the library, it's no big deal. Just look for another title on the same topic, or purchase said title from another source to keep on your bookshelf.

HTH. Keep asking questions if you're not sure.

Titles that are asterisked are especially recommended by the author to purchase if you can.... either because they have a uniqueness about them that make them "keepers", or because they're referred to often throughout.

How many of these books have you bought for each year? I"m trying to figure out how much I might end up spending outside of the cost for the curriculum alone.

Thanks so much for the reviews!

I'd love to hear more about the book basket...

I've found it open and go for the most part. I don't have to do lesson planning. But in order to be better prepared as a teacher it is to my benefit to at least look at it 5 minutes before starting for the day. ;)

As Donna said, the K program manual isn't set up the same. I find that I have to take about 10 minutes for the entire unit study to prep. That's fairly open and go.

I am in my 6th year of using MFW now. The other part of my prep time over the weeks is getting enrichment readings from the library (book basket.)

The best thing is that you don't have to get the exact or all of the titles in book basket in order to make the unit study work. They are all extra reading.

You'll have a wide variety of kinds of books and reading level. The idea is to let the children enjoy reading and selecting some of those books to promote independent learning in the subject in addition to the material taught from the package books. So, you have a lot of flexibility in book basket.

Here is an entire FAQ file on book basket .

I really like the ease of the lesson planning all done for me.

-crystal

How many of these books have you bought for each year? I"m trying to figure out how much I might end up spending outside of the cost for the curriculum alone.

None. Zip. Zero. Our library has just about everything I need. I've gotten almost every title from the MFW list that I've searched for from our library... and I don't search for every one. I read the commentary that Marie has next to each title and decide whether it would be appropriate for my age group(s) and the amount of free time we have available that week.

In the weekly lesson plans there's a schedule "Book Basket" time, as well as an assigned "reading" time separate from History and Science. Book Basket is *intended* to be used as such: You place a variety of titles in a basket (or shelf or whatever you have) for the children to browse through during the scheduled Book Basket time. These books are intended for the children to "feast" on... their choice. So just as you would make your child eat certain items from the buffet at a restaurant, you would allow the child to make some additional choices on their own. There are scheduled assignments and read-alouds in the TM, and then there's Book Basket. Same idea.

I sometimes do it a little differently. Depending on how heavy a week we're having with history and Bible, and if we haven't done a notebooking or mapping project all week, I might do this. I'll pick a pile of books -- some factual, some picture books, whatever -- and put them in the middle of the table (or LR floor, wherever we are) and tell my two olders to go through those books and find one or two things that they didn't already know about that topic. Then they have to notebook about it. This could be a written narration, an illustration, tracing a picture out of the book and adding a title or summary.... their choice.

Also, with the library, I check the book basket list for the upcoming couple of weeks, go online and search for my desired titles, and put them on hold. When I get an e-mail notice that they're in, I make a quick stop at the library, run in and get the goods, and I'm on my way again. So I don't spend a LOT of time on this.

Now, some people just don't have a great library. And that's okay... the Hazell's have taken that into account. (They were missionaries in Russia for 8 years with several kids... at one point they had a new baby and NO DIAPERS... so they understand having to do without!) That's why Marie asterisked the ones she recommends purchasing if you can or want to. I also know some people who like to buy books from Sonlight to supplement their Book Basket. And if all else fails, know that everything that's included in the Basic and Deluxe packages are scheduled in the weekly lessons, so you really don't *have* to get any extra books if you just can't. Everything needed to teach the lessons is there. They do have recommendations for the 3 R's and enrichment subjects, and time slots for those are in the weekly grids, too. But you can use whatever you want in those subjects... you're not bound to their recommendations.

If I didn't have such a great library available, I'd still use MFW.

Donna, thanks for the review! I was wondering if it is easy to combine grades... Is it really pick up and go? I'm loving the CM method too and want something not as rigid, but planned out, with the option to combine. I'd love to hear more about the book basket...

I've found it very easy to combine grades. I have 6th, 5th, 3rd, 1st and 2 yr old.

We do the Bible, history, and science together. I do not require the younger ones to listen to the more advanced books. I use the book basket and give independant reading assignments appropriate for each child. I choose picture books and easy readers for the younger ones. For the older ones I get more advanced book basket books and assign them historical fiction, biographies, and/or literature to read on their own. It's nice that we are all studying the same topics and can discuss it together.

I don't buy many extra books. This year I haven't bought any. We don't have a great library but I have requested lots of l books through Interlibrary Loan and have been able to get almost all of them.

Like the others, I use the library. I'm not a big book buyer.

The books in the packages (basic and deluxe) are the ones I buy and keep. I have found the package books help to provide a mix of text book and living books.

Science in MFW: from my perspective the science is really good IF you do all of what is suggested. My dh has a PHD in chemistry and he and I both like how MFW does the science in elementary. Then in jr. high we switch to Apologia's jr. high track. MFW recommends it, but we planned to use it even before we found MFW.

Good thing in science: nice mix of hands on stuff and just enough reading for that age. You can read more from book basket if the child is interested. And you can add more experiments or just fun stuff on Light and Independent Fridays (MFW has a 4 regular day schedule and Fridays have less to do to allow for doing fun extra stuff).

Some of the science and history books are Usborne and include links in them for extra things.

Hands on stuff is doable because you aren't doing difficult assignments all the time with hands on. It's more for demo and understanding instead of having to be super mom who can do it all. I'm not Super Craft MOM, and I like hands on in MFW.

The other parts of science in MFW -- there is a reminder in each week's lesson to do a nature walk. Journaling and notebooking are recommended as part of the science. In the intro of the manual, you get all of that information. It is not a rigid notebooking in science or journaling so that you can flex on that.

-crystal

We are on our second year of MFW (we are currently using ECC). It nice that it's open and go for the most part, but I am finding it to be very light. Without the book lists in the back, the ECC geography study (in my opinion at least) can be done with a few books. My ds wanted to do an additional country and it was VERY easy to make it up on my own with the books used in other countries. We are substituting science with an earth science because my son wanted more experiments and I wanted a more logical sequence. I have added extra notebooking pages and an extra writing program. So, now I feel like I have a complete program and I'm using this program with a young 3rd grader. So, we will not be continuing. I found Adventures to be good, but once again, it was saved by the book lists in back. Without the extra books, it's not much.

Now, just so you know - I feel like our homeschool is supposed to go in a more rigorously classical direction so my opinion is a little different from a true Charlotte Mason fan. If you really like the very gentle approach, you will find that MFW is a good curriculum. For us, it's not a fit.

Beth

I have added extra notebooking pages

Beth

Beth,

That's reminds me.....

I've always wanted to thank you for the suggestion of looking at GeoScribe. It helped me to do the scheduled in ECC geography terms on paper instead of using index cards. And my oldest uses one page of the GeoScribe country things to help with the country summary sheets notebooking that MFW recommends.

We're not doing them in addition to the notebooking in ECC, we use them as a tool to get the scheduled work done. And I just wanted to say thanks for the idea.

-crystal

Still talking reviews here....

One of the original questions that the OP asked was the good/bad/ugly of MFW:

I'll let you assign which of those values applies to these statements:

In grades 2-8, MFW is written and designed to cover about 10-13 subjects per day in a 3-4 hours time slot. (Lots of CM influence to allow for time in the afternoons to develop individual interests and to allow families to serve while being families of eternal purpose)

It is a combination of Charlotte Mason philosophies and influences, along with a 21st Century perspective on Classical Education, with a combination of some unit studies all within a framework of helping to develop a Biblical worldview.

If any of that is of interest to you, I’d recommend getting some of the MFW’s convention workshops or attending a convention next year to hear them. Here is a source for getting those workshops.

MFW workshop CD’s

also, here is a thread with how mfw users see the CM influence so that you can see if that is of interest to you as well.

explain CM influence in MFW?

hope that something helps there a bit as you try to decide.

-crystal

You've gotten lots of great answers, but I just wanted to add that we absolutely love MFW!! We are using K and ECC this year, and I can see this being the curriculum we use forever! I do have a very science oriented 3rd grader, so we really use the book basket to up the science. It works and we really enjoy it!

I'm avoiding cleaning the house and feel like typing. ;)

Here are some numbers and such to help anyone figure out if what ECC offers is light by your own standards (and yes, we will all have different standards on that based on our own goals in homeschooling.)

ECC: overs over 250 books in book basket. It is expected that book basket is a part of your daily schooling. You have a lot of flexibility which books to use, but it is not "extra" to be added. It is part of the day.

ECC: for each continent you have up to 20 notebooking pages to use from a book called World Geography. Several of those pages will require trip to library or other research resource in order to complete. So, while doing those pages (and some kids will not do all 20 of them, you can do less if needed), you get the time to teach research skills. Additionally, there are some other notebooking pages in geography that are more fun. Usually about 1 or 2 of them per country that are fun (puzzles, crosswords), and you make a flag for each country. Oldest students will do an additional summary sheet on each country. Those sheets are about 5-7 paragraphs of higher research and information. And then there is a major term paper/report for one country to be done as well.

Other notebooking: if you do the science in ECC, it is scheduled 3 times per week and it is expected that you do notebooking each time to summarize and draw a picture from the habitats reading. And they have the nature walk too. so, science can be 4 days per week. In ECC, the science is tied to the geography as much as possible. Other years in MFW are different in science.

Geography vocabulary notebooking-- 1 or 2 words per week.

Bible notebooking -- memory verse work, and character traits. Some people make a sheet to go with Window on the World.

Friday's are "light and independent" with not as much scheduled.

That covers the unit studies.

I hope that helps a bit to see it in terms of numbers. Again, we all have different standards by which to say "light" or "enough!" Hope it helps someone to get it if it fits and avoid it if it doesn't.

avoided work long enough :)

-crystal

I'm avoiding cleaning the house and feel like typing. ;)

Here are some numbers and such to help anyone figure out if what ECC offers is light by your own standards (and yes, we will all have different standards on that based on our own goals in homeschooling.)

ECC: overs over 250 books in book basket. It is expected that book basket is a part of your daily schooling. You have a lot of flexibility which books to use, but it is not "extra" to be added. It is part of the day.

ECC: for each continent you have up to 20 notebooking pages to use from a book called World Geography. Several of those pages will require trip to library or other research resource in order to complete. So, while doing those pages (and some kids will not do all 20 of them, you can do less if needed), you get the time to teach research skills. Additionally, there are some other notebooking pages in geography that are more fun. Usually about 1 or 2 of them per country that are fun (puzzles, crosswords), and you make a flag for each country. Oldest students will do an additional summary sheet on each country. Those sheets are about 5-7 paragraphs of higher research and information. And then there is a major term paper/report for one country to be done as well.

Other notebooking: if you do the science in ECC, it is scheduled 3 times per week and it is expected that you do notebooking each time to summarize and draw a picture from the habitats reading. And they have the nature walk too. so, science can be 4 days per week. In ECC, the science is tied to the geography as much as possible. Other years in MFW are different in science.

Geography vocabulary notebooking-- 1 or 2 words per week.

Bible notebooking -- memory verse work, and character traits. Some people make a sheet to go with Window on the World.

Friday's are "light and independent" with not as much scheduled.

That covers the unit studies.

I hope that helps a bit to see it in terms of numbers. Again, we all have different standards by which to say "light" or "enough!" Hope it helps someone to get it if it fits and avoid it if it doesn't.

avoided work long enough :)

-crystal

Crystal, you are fabulous! I love reading your reviews here and at our home (MFW forum) :D. Thanks for being such a tremendous blessing. :)