Menu

Hula hoop recommendations?

happi duck

I used to use a hula hoop quite a lot when I was a teen. I was able to walk with it (normal walk style) while it was spinning around my waist, and do other little tricks. It has been quite a long time, but the thing I remember to be the most important is that the hoop has to be big enough for you, and that it has to have some weight to it. Cheap, plastic ones are much harder to balance. They tend to drop to the ground far easier. How much weight? I don't know. Mine was made of aluminium (and left black marks on my clothes and hands, but I didn't care ? ). Perhaps it was about in the 2 lb range; not very heavy. Also, you don't want one that comes in pieces if possible. The joins can snag on your skin and clothes, and the whole thing can come apart.

A couple of years ago I researched hula hoops and settled on Canyon Hoops (no affiliation whatsoever). They also sell on Amazon, if you look them up by company name or use this link: https://www.amazon.com/Weighted-Hula-Hoop-Exercise-Fitness/dp/B003MWQYM6/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1530569772&sr=1-3&keywords=canyon+hoops

I never actually bought this, so I don't know how good it is in reality, but to me it seemed like the best option when I was researching. I hope this will help a little.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RosemaryAndThyme said:

I used to use a hula hoop quite a lot when I was a teen. I was able to walk with it (normal walk style) while it was spinning around my waist, and do other little tricks. It has been quite a long time, but the thing I remember to be the most important is that the hoop has to be big enough for you, and that it has to have some weight to it. Cheap, plastic ones are much harder to balance. They tend to drop to the ground far easier. How much weight? I don't know. Mine was made of aluminium (and left black marks on my clothes and hands, but I didn't care ? ). Perhaps it was about in the 2 lb range; not very heavy. Also, you don't want one that comes in pieces if possible. The joins can snag on your skin and clothes, and the whole thing can come apart.

A couple of years ago I researched hula hoops and settled on Canyon Hoops (no affiliation whatsoever). They also sell on Amazon, if you look them up by company name or use this link: https://www.amazon.com/Weighted-Hula-Hoop-Exercise-Fitness/dp/B003MWQYM6/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1530569772&sr=1-3&keywords=canyon+hoops

I never actually bought this, so I don't know how good it is in reality, but to me it seemed like the best option when I was researching. I hope this will help a little.

Great information!  Thanks!

I was seeing a lot of hoops that come in pieces and didn't think about snagging.  Thanks for pointing that out.

I have this one and have been happy with it:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MWT0N6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The difference in the two sizes is that the larger one is a bit easier (slower revolutions), but both work for exercise. You need some room all around you, especially with the larger one. Weighted is the way to go!  It's a lot easier and more fun. 

• Like 1