Menu

Instructor Led BYU Independent Study Online Courses: Comments

I am also looking for feedback on BYU classes.  My son attends a magnet school and wants to clear some class requirements by taking some required distribution requirements online, leaving more time in his regular class schedule for classes he can only get at his school and more AP classes.  BYU seems to be the cheapest approved provider.  We are looking at the Health 041.  Does anyone have any feedback?  

My nephew took a BYU HS Math class quite a while ago. More recently I tutored a student taking a BYU HS Math class. BYU instructor led does not mean you get the same kind of support you would get from a Derek Owens or similar course.  The assignments get graded but I don't remember the student getting a lot of feedback. My gut feel is to say that they are very structured independent study courses where the student learns the material by reading the text and doing the assignments. The tests are reasonable as I remember. The courses are accredited.

My daughter took a BYU English class in middle school.  It wasn't terrible but we were not impressed - it was more of a "check the box" class.  It was easy for her and there wasn't much feedback.  The instructor was very nice and the instructions were clear but it took a long time to get an answer the one time she did have a question.  

12 minutes ago, MarkT said:

BYU instructor led does not mean you get the same kind of support you would get from a Derek Owens or similar course.  The assignments get graded but I don't remember the student getting a lot of feedback. My gut feel is to say that they are very structured independent study courses where the student learns the material by reading the text and doing the assignments. The tests are reasonable as I remember. The courses are accredited.

Yes, this was our experience with the one class we used.