Menu

Sending AP Scores

yvonne

On this year's AP Answer Sheets, my sons indicated that they wanted their AP scores sent to the college they'll be attending in the fall. Could anyone clarify.... Will ALL their AP scores, even from previous years, be sent?  Or do we have to send prior years' scores in separately? 

Below is what the CB site states, but I'm not sure if "one free score report" means just that one exam's score report or one report that compiles all AP scores to date.

Thanks!

From the CB site:

Sending Scores Using Your AP Answer Sheet

Each year that you take AP Exams, you have the opportunity to send one free score report. You do this by entering the four-digit code of the college, university, or scholarship program on your first or "registration" AP answer sheet. If you didn't indicate a college on your answer sheet, or if you need to send score reports to additional colleges, you can order additional score reports online, or by mail or fax for a fee.

Oops!  Should have poked around more on the CB site. Looks like the score report is cumulative. That'll save some money!

• Will my previous scores be included in my score report?

All score reports are cumulative. Your entire score history will be sent to your designated college, university, or scholarship program unless you choose to withhold or cancel any of your scores (see Help topic “How do I withhold my score?”). Note: When viewing scores online, check to make sure that your score report is complete. If you do not see all your exam scores online, please contact us at apstudents@info.collegeboard.org or 888-225-5427 (toll free) or 212-632-1780. Missing scores may be a result of inconsistent or incomplete student information between your online account and exam registration answer sheet (i.e. missing date of birth, incorrect name, etc.) or archiving, and may delay your entire score history being sent.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, MarkT said:

Is this new?   I thought we had to pay for AP scores.

Not sure what DS did when he took the exams this year and last.

This was the policy at least as far back as 2015.  AP exams are self-reported on the Common App and then when you take your last round of AP exams senior year, when you are filling out the paperwork, you can instruct the College Board to send your scores to the college you will be attending in the fall.  All scores from all years are sent, and there is no charge.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, alewife said:

This was the policy at least as far back as 2015.  AP exams are self-reported on the Common App and then when you take your last round of AP exams senior year, when you are filling out the paperwork, you can instruct the College Board to send your scores to the college you will be attending in the fall.  All scores from all years are sent, and there is no charge.

Oh, I wish I had known that! So after that is it $15 to send ALL of your scores? You don't have to pay for each score?

1 hour ago, Jen500 said:

Oh, I wish I had known that! So after that is it $15 to send ALL of your scores? You don't have to pay for each score?

Sorry, I don't know what the fee is if you don't request the scores to be sent before you take the tests.

Another thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is that my middle son was able to log into his college account and see his senior year AP scores before the official release date.  I can't remember if my oldest did that or not.

3 hours ago, Jen500 said:

That's correct. For example, if your student has taken 4 APs, you don't pay $60 to send the scores to a college. You pay $15 for a "score report" which will include all the scores to any APs your student has taken. 

It's $15 per college/university, though.  So, if you send AP scores to 2 colleges/universities, it will cost you $30. Sending to 3 colleges will cost you $45.....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, yvonne said:

That's correct. For example, if your student has taken 4 APs, you don't pay $60 to send the scores to a college. You pay $15 for a "score report" which will include all the scores to any APs your student has taken. 

It's $15 per college/university, though.  So, if you send AP scores to 2 colleges/universities, it will cost you $30. Sending to 3 colleges will cost you $45.....

Just in case someone is unaware of how AP scores are handled...unlike SAT/ACT/Subject Test scores that are typically ordered from the CB and sent with the application to every individual college, AP scores are self-reported at the time of application.  The only school that will require an official score report will be the college that your student plans on attending.

Yep! Learned that lesson the hard way.... Sent AP scores to two schools when we first did college apps because I didn't realize that self-reported AP scores were sufficient until after acceptance.

ETA: I should say... For the colleges that my kids applied to, self-reported AP scores were sufficient & I didn't need to send official AP score reports. I'm not sure if that's the case for all colleges out there.

On 6/29/2018 at 11:42 AM, MarkT said:

DS could not remember if he selected send on AP Answer Sheets - after the scores come out will he be able to see that on the CB website? I don't want to waste $15,

I can't remember if they are on the CB site, but if he sent them to his college, they should appear in his college portal.  In fact, if your son checks his college portal now, the scores may have already been posted since they are being released to the students in a few days.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2018 at 2:27 PM, alewife said:

I can't remember if they are on the CB site, but if he sent them to his college, they should appear in his college portal.  In fact, if your son checks his college portal now, the scores may have already been posted since they are being released to the students in a few days.

Yes!! Apparently ds did mark his college down at his most recent AP exam and now he can see all of his AP scores on his college portal. Whew.

• Like 2