Menu

Mathematical Reasoning

RoseS8

We attempted it for K, after MUS was a bust here.  DS was not a fan.  It felt disjointed and has a distinct lack of teaching concepts, which made it feel like just a bunch of workbook pages in one big text.  We gave it up for MEP with a side of Anno's Math Games.  MEP was free and felt more like the mathematical reasoning that I was looking for, plus it had several ways of presenting and practicing a concept.  Anno was just fun and a way to think about math differently. We've since moved on to Right Start, but I was extremely happy with how levels 1-3 of MEP prepared him. ?

We like it well enough, but it isn't complete.   

I personally think that the best math method is Mastery but with Foreshadowing.   The foreshadowing allows the concept to roll around in the brain for a bit, so that when it is introduced for mastery it is understood much easier.   Mathematical Reasoning is the foreshadowing for us, and Beast Academy the mastery.  .  

I did pre-k and k with DS when was about 4 and 5. We liked them but there was too much repetition and a lot of shapes, so much so that he complained. The second time around with DD I did not use them. She’s doing Singapore Essentials and Miquon. She does like CTC riddles and Mind Benders.