Menu

Homegrown English 9 to go along with World Geography

I'm more of a science and math person so I was really hoping to find something that we liked for English this year.  Since we didn't, now I'm trying to plan something myself.  We did use and like Excellence in Literature level 1 this year, but they don't have one covering international literature.  I was thinking of covering about 1 book a month in a similar style (so probably one context paper on the author and/or country and another essay about the book).  I would also like us to cover some other writing.  She did have to do some research for her papers for literature, but that is something that I'd like to cover more in depth this year.  Any recommendations for some resources we could use?  She has covered essays (mostly persuasive) pretty well, though I'd like her to continue to practice writing them.  We also need to cover editing this year, as we have been pretty lax with that so far.  I'd love any recommendations on a book or other resource to help with that, too.

So, other than some resource suggestions, I'm also trying to figure out how much to cover.  If we covered one book a month as described, would it be too much to also be working on another composition (probably of essay or short research paper variety) each month?  She is a strong reader so I will certainly assign more books for her to read, but should she do anything else with them?

Thanks!

EiL does have a World Geography book, just in case you'd want to use that. It includes units on The Odyssey, Antigone, The Aeneid, Divine Comedy, Don Quixote, Les Miserables, The Portable Nineteenth Century Russian Reader, Faust, and Out of Africa

We have the EiL and use some of those units, but many of them didn't appeal to us. My 9th grader is doing a World Cultures/Religion/Geography course this year and she will be reading some missionary biographies from each continent as well as these titles: The Queen of Water (South America), Cry the Beloved Country (Africa), Between Shades of Gray (Russia), I Am Malala (Middle East), Kim (India), Mao's Last Dancer (China), and Kon-Tiki (Oceania)

Edited by Momto5inIN
EiL has a World Lit book, not a World Geography, book

2 hours ago, Momto5inIN said:

EiL does have a World Geography book, just in case you'd want to use that. It includes units on The Odyssey, Antigone, The Aeneid, Divine Comedy, Don Quixote, Les Miserables, The Portable Nineteenth Century Russian Reader, Faust, and Out of Africa

We have the EiL and use some of those units, but many of them didn't appeal to us. My 9th grader is doing a World Cultures/Religion/Geography course this year and she will be reading some missionary biographies from each continent as well as these titles: The Queen of Water (South America), Cry the Beloved Country (Africa), Between Shades of Gray (Russia), I Am Malala (Middle East), Kim (India), Mao's Last Dancer (China), and Kon-Tiki (Oceania)

I thought the EiL book seemed more focused on literature based on world history than world geography (as most programs labeled world literature seemed to be).  Thanks for your list of literature titles.  What do you plan to do with them, as far as output?  What else are you using for an English credit?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lisa in the UP of MI said:

I thought the EiL book seemed more focused on world history than world geography (as most programs labeled world literature seemed to be).  Thanks for your list of literature titles.  What do you plan to do with them, as far as output?  What else are you using for an English credit?

For Geography output she is writing a short essay about some interesting aspect of culture for each broad people group from her geography spine (a National Geographic book called something like the People of the World). For English she is also doing Elegant Essay and a few other lit selections (unrelated to Geography).

• Like 1

I would select some modern works from around the world that illustrate some of the concepts you'll be covering (easier said than done, probably).  Then I would have her read well written articles and essays about things related to what you're studying and have her do things like identify the argument, write a summary, write a response, etc.  Over time you could work up to a synthesis paper (knitting together several articles) or two.

The book 50 Essays: A Portable Anthology may have some stuff you can use.  There is also a book called Global Issues, Local Arguments that may be helpful.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, EKS said:

I would select some modern works from around the world that illustrate some of the concepts you'll be covering (easier said than done, probably).  Then I would have her read well written articles and essays about things related to what you're studying and have her do things like identify the argument, write a summary, write a response, etc.  Over time you could work up to a synthesis paper (knitting together several articles) or two.

The book 50 Essays: A Portable Anthology may have some stuff you can use.  There is also a book called Global Issues, Local Arguments that may be helpful.

Thanks for your ideas and for the specific resources.  I'm starting to feel like I can do this.