Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

KarenNC

Issues with getting roommate assignment for freshman year

Recommended Posts

So, did you call the uni and discover whether two refrigerators can be in one room?

I like the fact that roomie #4 was direct and clearly stated she didn't want to share.  My first roomie never stated what she meant straight up and then would be offended when I couldn't read her mind.  The drama would last for days and was entirely avoidable.  Who has time for that?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

So, did you call the uni and discover whether two refrigerators can be in one room?

I like the fact that roomie #4 was direct and clearly stated she didn't want to share.  My first roomie never stated what she meant straight up and then would be offended when I couldn't read her mind.  The drama would last for days and was entirely avoidable.  Who has time for that?

I agree directness is preferable to mind games. My daughter also tends toward the direct, so hopefully that sort of drama can be avoided.

Yes, they can have two refrigerators. At this point, unless something changes over their lunch this week, the plan is for us to go ahead and rent the MicroFridge for my daughter. It's a more reasonable option for our situation than buying a fridge and trying to transport it. She does have a handed down microwave, but it's a bit large for a dorm room, so we would likely have been getting a different one anyway to take. If the roommate doesn't have a microwave, my daughter plans to offer to let her share that if she goes in on the price of rental for that portion of it (so, roughly a quarter of the rental cost). Simply by the nature of the rental, it will already be in place before they get there, as all of them are delivered on the same day prior to move-in. If the roommate changes her mind and decides to share the fridge, we will offer to provide the microwave.

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, KarenNC said:

 She does have a handed down microwave, but it's a bit large for a dorm room, so we would likely have been getting a different one anyway to take. If the roommate doesn't have a microwave, my daughter plans to offer to let her share that if she goes in on the price of rental for that portion of it (so, roughly a quarter of the rental cost). Simply by the nature of the rental, it will already be in place before they get there, as all of them are delivered on the same day prior to move-in. If the roommate changes her mind and decides to share the fridge, we will offer to provide the microwave.

 

 

Don't all of the Microfridges come with a microwave? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, katilac said:

 

Don't all of the Microfridges come with a microwave? 

They do. We're looking at several possibilities: 1) roommate continues not to want to share fridge or microwave, so we rent the MicroFridge for daughter only; 2) roommate doesn't want to share fridge but doesn't have a microwave and is interested in sharing the microwave portion of the MicroFridge, so we rent MicroFridge and daughter would ask roommate to pay for a portion of the rental price; 3) roommate decides she's willing to share fridge, in which case we don't need the MicroFridge, so we'd offer to bring a microwave to share. In options 1 and 2, she'd just use the microwave part of the MicroFridge, since there's not an option to just rent a fridge by itself. For option 3, we already have a microwave that is a hand-me-down, but it's really too big for the space, so we'd end up buying a smaller microwave for her to bring to share. 

Clear as mud? ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, KarenNC said:

They do.  

?

 

 

Ah, okay, I got confused by the many possibilities ?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, they had lunch and all is well.? Much stress relief for all! The roommate had also been switched at least once that she knew of. Since the school is not great about letting students know if their roommate assignment has been changed, it's possible interim switches were made that went unnoticed if she wasn't checking her portal regularly.

They got along fine, have several similarities, including general politics, not being very interested in the party scene, and a similar approach to sleep and room neatness. As we had theorized, she said she's not a great texter, so being able to meet face to face was tremendously helpful. Roommate is math/science while my daughter is liberal arts, so hopefully they can complement each other academically if need be. The fridge issue has been broached and resolved! Roommate has a little cube fridge (of a size to fit under the somewhat lofted beds), but is interested in access to the freezer and microwave in the MicroFridge, so we will rent the MicroFridge and she will bring her little fridge. If there's room for both, great, roommate will split a prorated portion of the rental toward freezer and microwave. If they decide there's not room for both, she will send hers back with her parents and split the full cost of the MicroFridge. Roommate has no experience in living in a dorm-sized room whereas my daughter has lived in that exact dorm with a roommate for a week last summer during camp and has a really good feel for the size limitations.

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds great! The texting issues seem common - my daughter doesn't get texts responding to her questions sometimes weeks after she's asked them. And these are friends! She's not the best herself either...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now the roommate says her parents bought her a microwave, so guess there'll be two fridges and two microwaves. <sigh>

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2018 at 4:01 PM, KarenNC said:

Now the roommate says her parents bought her a microwave, so guess there'll be two fridges and two microwaves. <sigh>

 

You can use one to store books!  ?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, daijobu said:

 

You can use one to store books!  ?

Lol, no, they'll both be used for their individual food, since the roommate doesn't want to share space at all. It's possibly her parents that don't want her to share, since she had expressed an interest in sharing partial rental of the microfridge to use the freezer and microwave when the girls had lunch last week, but then yesterday said they bought her a microwave. I just don't get it, particularly in an 11x14 room, but whatever. Since my daughter's is a rental, it's already in the room, so she'll have what she needs.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oy - what a saga! I'm glad they met in person and seemed to get along IRL - that's a good sign despite the fridge and microwave issues. ?

My dd has always been the one with "all the stuff." We've saved her roommates hundreds of dollars at this point! lol In her three-person suite this year, they'll have 1 minifridge (roommate's), one small regular-sized fridge/freezer (dds), and one full sized fridge/freezer (apartment's) - two microwaves - one regular coffee maker, one Keurig coffee maker, and one hybrid coffee maker! I'd say they're covered! LOL

DD and her roommates moved in this week and got their roommate issue sorted out DAY-OF move-in day. They were contacting the last "wrong" roommate to see why she hadn't confirmed with housing that she would switch rooms and she ignored their emails. Then, in person, she asked all kinds of questions (wanted them to show her both rooms, she wanted to see the views from both windows, she wanted to know who the other room's roommate were "because she wanted to have really good roommates" (even though none of them know those girls, lol), and then said she thinks she'd prefer to stay in the original room after all because the original room was "slightly closer to the stairs." I thought dd and her friends were going to pull their hair out! lol They were finally able to capture one of the other room's roommates and introduce them, and after that the girl was once-again okay with switching rooms. lol

All of that drama could've been avoided if housing had just done what housing said they would do way back in the Spring!! UGH!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, easypeasy said:

Oy - what a saga! I'm glad they met in person and seemed to get along IRL - that's a good sign despite the fridge and microwave issues. ?

My dd has always been the one with "all the stuff." We've saved her roommates hundreds of dollars at this point! lol In her three-person suite this year, they'll have 1 minifridge (roommate's), one small regular-sized fridge/freezer (dds), and one full sized fridge/freezer (apartment's) - two microwaves - one regular coffee maker, one Keurig coffee maker, and one hybrid coffee maker! I'd say they're covered! LOL

DD and her roommates moved in this week and got their roommate issue sorted out DAY-OF move-in day. They were contacting the last "wrong" roommate to see why she hadn't confirmed with housing that she would switch rooms and she ignored their emails. Then, in person, she asked all kinds of questions (wanted them to show her both rooms, she wanted to see the views from both windows, she wanted to know who the other room's roommate were "because she wanted to have really good roommates" (even though none of them know those girls, lol), and then said she thinks she'd prefer to stay in the original room after all because the original room was "slightly closer to the stairs." I thought dd and her friends were going to pull their hair out! lol They were finally able to capture one of the other room's roommates and introduce them, and after that the girl was once-again okay with switching rooms. lol

All of that drama could've been avoided if housing had just done what housing said they would do way back in the Spring!! UGH!

What a mess! 

Tomorrow is move-in day for my daughter, so we'll keep fingers crossed things go well. We're packing up and heading out as soon as my husband gets back from getting the oil changed. We're staying overnight since it's a pretty long drive and the move-in volunteers are only available in the morning tomorrow. Roommate is planning to get there around noon, so we should have time to get my daughter set up and be out of the way for her family to come in, since those rooms are small for a lot of folks moving around.

Edited by KarenNC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we got her moved in and had a very nice surprise. She is actually in one of the corner rooms, which are about 30 or so sf larger than the other rooms, so there shouldn't be an issue of space over the dual appliances. She just texted that things are going well.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KarenNC said:

Well, we got her moved in and had a very nice surprise. She is actually in one of the corner rooms, which are about 30 or so sf larger than the other rooms, so there shouldn't be an issue of space over the dual appliances. She just texted that things are going well.

 

Yay! I'm so glad that worked out so well!!! Hopefully the rest of the semester will go by smoothly! ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...